Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 4th, 2003, 02:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

short project with fcp

hi,

i am trying to edit footages from a field trip i had. i shot 7 tapes total; and now i am trying to them with fcp. i am thinking how should i transfer them from tape to HD. i definately don't have the space for all the tapes. However, doing it one tape by one seems to take a long time.

any suggestion on how i should the transfering???

thanks
Old July 4th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

i guess it was a stupid question..

but first time thou
Old July 4th, 2003, 03:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My friend and myself got back from an education experiance in Washington D.C. On the trip we documentated everything we did so we could put togeather a documentary-style video to encourage more kids to go next year. We ended up with about 5 tapes and ended up just buying a 200gb firewire external hd for like 300 which is pleanty of space for anything we do in the future. And as so maybe people have said on this forum, there are no stupid questions, espicially this one because it is a problem that many have faced.
Brian Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What i would do is use the batch capture function. I don't really have time to explain but if you look in the final cut help menu i think it gives a decent explanation on how to do it. This way you capture only the footage you want to use and if you label your clips good then it is alot easier to edit everything together. This will only work if you don't have any broken timecode on the tapes. I highly recommend this method for projects with alot of footage.

corey
Corey MacGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks guys..

corey,
i couldn't use the batch capture, fcp freeze when i click on the bottom.
Old July 6th, 2003, 01:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

get fcp working

if you can't batch capture then you have some real problem with fcp. If I tried to bc with fcp and it failed I'd be working on that until it was fixed. You certainly don't want to be forced to capture the entire tape. You can "capture now" in fcp and just get what you want, but batch capturing is much better. Get a FCP guru to help you fix this flaw if you can because once you start batch capturing, it will be the only way to go with footage that has bits and pieces of good mixed with bad (and that's most footage).
Old July 8th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks bud....
i'll look into it...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite