newbie edit set-up: mbp + fcp6 + hard drive raid + what else? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #1
Major Player

newbie edit set-up: mbp + fcp6 + hard drive raid + what else?

newbie edit set-up: mbp + fcp6 + hard drive raid + what else? i'm a writer/producer who needs to have a functional final cut pro edit set-up.

i'm using a 15" macbook pro prev ver 2.4 to ingest sxs flash cards from the sony ex1. this same mbp will be the heart of my edit set-up. i will be running final cut studio2 because that is what the sony ex1 needs. i am looking at a g-tech or glymph raid 1 for backup (that will be another thread). i'm also looking at a expresscard adaptor either e-sata or fw800 to add another speedy port to the macbook pro.

but what else do i need?

a 2nd monitor that does hi-def? if so, the apple 23" hd, or a dell or samsung?

what about a ntsc monitor that does 4:3 and 16:9 to look over the footage? will that monitor even be helpful/needed in a hi-def suite?

a mackie-type mixer board to bring in other audio sources? is this still necessary or can i control the audio source within the acquisition software (garageband, itunes, audacity)

so, what do u fcp users think, what else do i need?

any specific equipment suggests would be equally helpful.

as always, thanks in advance for sharing your experience

be well

rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Add a mouse, a good set of headphones and a good set of speakers to your list.

Just a suggestion - does it have to be a laptop? Because with the money you're talking about spending you can get a lower end 8-core mac pro set up.
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Major Player

tm-

thanks for the suggestions

the mac book pro is needed in the field for the sxs flash cards. since i am not expecting to use final cut studio's color or other processor intensive software, i'm hoping the mbp will get me thru the ruff cut stage and into a near fine cut. at that point, i'd bring the project to a finishing house for color correction, sound mix and lay-off to digi tape for broadcast.

so anyone with thoughts on monitors (2nd or ntsc)? what about mixers?

again, thanks for sharing.

be well

rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore McNeil View Post
Add a mouse, a good set of headphones and a good set of speakers to your list.

Just a suggestion - does it have to be a laptop? Because with the money you're talking about spending you can get a lower end 8-core mac pro set up.
Rob Katz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite