Final Cut pro compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 19th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Final Cut pro compatibility

I want to get a deck to capture HDV tapes (1080i) from my canon XH-G1 to final cut pro, need recommendations. Thank you.
Gordon Roeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Deck or just a way to capture

I use just the HV10 that I have to capture. Not sure though if it can playback the other flavors of the camera. I Shoot with the Sony ZU1 and capture with HV10. I works for me. It was a cheaper way of going instead of buying a deck to capture over Firewire.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Welcome to the forum, Gordon.

The Sony deck cannot playback tapes from Canon cameras because Sony and Canon use different GOP structures in HDV.

I'm not an HDV editor and to my knowledge there isn't a truly Canon-compatible deck for HDV (MiniDV is cross-compatible) so you might have to use the camera as your capture deck as well.

Try the Canon forums or better yet, hit up one of the forum sponsors who carry the equipment.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Welcome to the forum, Gordon.

The Sony deck cannot playback tapes from Canon cameras because Sony and Canon use different GOP structures in HDV.
Sony decks certainly can and do playback tapes from Canon cameras, no problem. As long as it is 60i footage the Sony decks are compatible with Canon cameras.

I use the Sony HVR-M25U deck for most of my capturing and I shoot everything on Canon XH-G1 & XL-H1 cameras, 99.9% of the time in 60i.

Not sure what you are referring to by different GOP structures, as I understood Sony and Canon both use the same HDV2. It is Canon's 24F/30F modes that the Sony decks can't play, which is why many of us keep an HV-10 or HV-20 handy as well.

But absolutely Sony decks can play Canon 1080i/60i footage. I like the HVR-M25U for all the features, but let your priorities make the decision.
Old March 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM   #5
Major Player

I can second what Benjamin said.

While I haven't used it personally, I do know a Montreal documentary filmmaker using a Sony HVR-M15U to capture from his Canon XH-A1 for some time now. He likes it as does his DoP, so I would think you are fine as long as you're sticking to 1080i/60.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

What do you want a deck for?

Okay why do you want a deck? If you are capturing via Firewire then go with a consumer camera. It is a save in money. All the data that could possibly be there is going to be there. I will admit you can get some more functionality out of a deck, but you more then likely will not miss those functions. The GOP structures are the same the only thing that is different is the 24p simulations are different so the canon will not playback in a sony deck. So as Benjamin and Mike said they will play together as long as you shot 1080i. So if you are using a canon XH-G1 a canon HV1O or a HV20 will work wonders for you. No matter what "frame rate" you are shooting with your camera. What do you need from a deck?
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Major Player

If the budget is there, then there are advantages to using a proper deck vs. using a consumer camcorder. Let your own priorities, and not someone else's, make the decision for you.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pugerude View Post
Okay why do you want a deck? If you are capturing via Firewire then go with a consumer camera.
Right tool for the right job. Simple.

Those cheap little consumer cameras may be a money saver in the short run, but their transports are just as flimsy as the prosumer ones, and they will eventually go... then you're buying a new one; your savings in cost now blown.

If you really can't afford a deck in the short-term, then another cam will work -- but this is not a solution, it is a quick fix.
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #9
New Boot

Thank all of you for your insight. Gordon Roeder

I have some good information to go on. Thanks again.
Gordon Roeder is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite