Keyboard shortcuts donīt work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Trustee

Keyboard shortcuts donīt work

Iīm new to fcp, running version 6.0.2. The OS is Mac OS X version 10.5.2.
The keyboard shortcut donīt work as expected! Either wrong function or pressing the key donīt do anything at all!
A couple of examples - pressing either F9 or F10 key for insert or overwrite clips from browser to the timeline donīt work. Nothing happen pressing those keys.
Iīve tried to map them under Tools - Keyboard Layout without any luck.
Iīm running Norwegian keyboard. Any ideas how to solve this out?
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Major Player

This is a shot in the dark, but I had a similar problem with certain keyboard shortcuts not working. It turned out that I had the same shortcuts assigned to functions related to the operating system and this trumped the FCP shortcuts.

Look at "System Preferencess>Keyboard and Mouse>Keyboard Shortcuts" to see if the keys that are not working are assigned to another function.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Wrangler

I think the new low profile aluminum keyboards were an issue as well. Something about them not generating the same keycodes and needing to be re-mapped.

Another shot in the dark, and if you don't have that newer keyboard style, then disregard.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM   #4
Major Player

If you are using one of the new Apple keyboards (the thin aluminum ones w/white keys) go into your Keyboard settings and check the box that says something like "make Function keys work as Function keys by default". On the new keyboards the F keys along the type are setup to act as volume up/down, iTunes controls, etc., and you have to change the settings so F3 acts like F3 not "adjust brightness" (or whatever it is). Also, by default the Expose short cuts are mapped to F9 and F10 so you need to go into the Expose settings and change that.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
I think the new low profile aluminum keyboards were an issue as well. Something about them not generating the same keycodes and needing to be re-mapped.
-
Thanks for your quick replays Kevin and Greg!
Yes, I have the new aluminum keyboard, so maybe some of the issues lays here!? Iīm considering buying one of the special built fcp-keyboard with color-keys, any recommendations?
Old March 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Trustee

Andrew, thanks a lot for your help!
Your comments help out all my issues, now everything works as a charm!
Thanks very much!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite