reading Final Cut Pro HD Files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 22nd, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

reading Final Cut Pro HD Files

I have recieved some DVDs with FCP HD files and i am trying to find a way to convert them to standard DV AVI files on my PC.. Does anyone know a way ? When i try and load them in Quicktime it says extra components are needed to playback the files and loads an apple web page where i can select add ons.. I would ideally like to be able to just load the files up in Vegas and render away.. Is this possible with a codec or something ?

Thanks in advance..
Randy Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Trustee

if the files are using the DVCpro HD or ProRes codecs, there is NO way to read them on a PC. get photojpeg instead
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Steve

I only know they were created in Final Cut Pro, im not sure what codec is used, I just got sent DVDs with individual files and nothing else.. Is there anyway i can tell what codec is in the files ?

What is photojpeg ? I did a quick search on google and it looks like a codec but will it allow me to open them ?
Old March 22nd, 2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sanchez View Post
Is there anyway i can tell what codec is in the files ?
Do you have QuickTime Pro? You can see what codec is used when you view the movie properties.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM   #5
Trustee

standard quicktime will show you the mov info. open it, and ignore the warnings, then hit control I

you have to have the codec top read the file. the DVCpro HD and ProRes Codecs are mac only. only way to do something is to
1. open on a mac
2. be sure both codecs are installed and they only come with FCP

photojpeg is a cross platfrom QT codec
Old March 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey Mike

I hardly ever use quicktime, im normally just in vegas with AVI so i only have the free quicktime download. I checked the movie inspector option in Quicktime, it had some specs but i dont think it named the codec.. Movie properties is greyed out and suggests i need quicktime pro to be able to see it..

EDIT: Hi Steve, thanks for your help.. The CNTRL I thing gives me the same dialog box as movie inspector option and it identifies the size of the video but not the codec unfortunately... Im pretty sure it was just done on FCP on MAC which would suggest the only option i have is to find a mac with FCP and open it that way, is that right ? I have an old G4 here, is there anything i could download to install on that which might work ? This is a situation im not likely to come across again so i need to try and get it done on the cheap, i cant justify spending too much money on tools for just a one off..
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sanchez View Post
This is a situation im not likely to come across again so i need to try and get it done on the cheap, i cant justify spending too much money on tools for just a one off..
Well QuickTime Pro is only $30 (Windows or Mac)... if this project has any value at all then it shouldn't be hard to justify that expenditure :-)

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/pro/

Mind you, it may not solve your problem (although it probably will) but even so, that's not a bad gamble for the price and you will probably find some other uses for the software anyway.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Trustee

QT pro will not provide the missing codecs, but it does enable export which is a very handy thing to have. it also enables being able to trim a clip in player before export.

yes, take the disc over the to mac. if you have FCP installed on that machine, you should have the DVCpro HD codecs. if you don't.....

the codecs get installed in Mac HD/Library/Quicktime so, uh... maybe you will want to borrow one or two from the folks that sent you the original files. once you have them open, you can export to : Animation 100%, photojpeg at around 90% ( about 2:1 ) compression, one of the uncompressed 3rd party codecs you can get for free or paid.

if the codecs turn out to be AJA or Blackmagic, you can get free software only codecs from the respective websites.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM   #9
Major Player

This free tool: MediaInfo Mac is handy - might work on your file.

Edit: Sorry - just realised you're trying to read on a PC! That tool, although useful, is Mac only!
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for your help everyone...
Randy Sanchez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite