FCP 6.0.2 - Audio Playback Randomly Stops Working... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 4th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP 6.0.2 - Audio Playback Randomly Stops Working...

Hi Everyone,

Recently, for some reason, Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 has randomly stopped giving me any audio playback! Everything will be working fine, and then suddenly (mostly after a render of the timeline, but sometimes just completely out of the blue), it won't play any audio when you play back the timeline. The audio meters are completely flat. They show nothing. Checking the audio playback settings, everything seems fine... A restart of Final Cut Pro fixes the problem... But it's a pain, as you can imagine...

This has never happened before... Not sure why it's happening now, as I haven't done any updates recently that I can remember...

I use a Protools Mbox (1st Generation) to playback the audio, but this is what I've always done, so I don't think that's the issue. Changing to the internal sound-card doesn't seem to fix it anyway...

Anyone else having similar problems?

At first I though I was just pressing some kind of "mute" shortcut in Final Cut Pro, but that doesn't seem to be the issue...

I'm hoping it's just a 6.0.2 bug that will be fixed in the next update, but who knows!

Very strange...

Chris!
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Chris,

This behavior is usually associated with cache and other temp files that are full and need to be cleared. Without knowing the layout of your system and HDD's it's impossible to really give clear troubleshooting advice however...

Download the free app, Onyx for Mac (make sure you get the version for your OS) and run *all* the maintenance and cleaning routines. If the behavior continues after cleaning up the system you might have a corrupt project.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Robert! After reading your post, I'm now pretty much sure it's a hard drive space issue...
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Chris,

This behavior is usually associated with cache and other temp files that are full and need to be cleared. Without knowing the layout of your system and HDD's it's impossible to really give clear troubleshooting advice however...

Download the free app, Onyx for Mac (make sure you get the version for your OS) and run *all* the maintenance and cleaning routines. If the behavior continues after cleaning up the system you might have a corrupt project.
Does Onyx do similar maintenance as DiscWarrior does?

Or is it recommended to use it in addition to DiscWarrior?
Sean James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite