DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 20th, 2008, 07:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Export "groups" in Compressor?

I've been using Compressor a lot lately, trying out a multitude of settings for exporting video to the Web, and I'm wondering if the new Compressor that comes with FCS 2 has this option.

Compressor "groups"... say I want to export a video as DVD MPEG 2, Dolby Audio, MPEG4, H.264, WMV, and 3GP... well instead of having to click each of my presets adding them to the export, it would be nice to have a group that I can apply to Compressor, where it will export all the specified items in that group. That would save me a load of time if I'm exporting multiple sequences out of FCP.

Is this available in my version of Compressor? (I have Final Cut Studio 1) How about FCS2?
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

What you're referring to is called creating a "Batch", which Compressor 3 does very well. You can also specifiy the destination of each type of encode, not just the entire batch which is extremely helpful if you're making more than one type of encode for different projects.

The key here is to use reference movies, not standalone movies and certainly not attempt to send directly from the timeline.

Highly suggested reading: "Compressor 3 Quick Reference Guide", Brain Gary. It will walk you through proper setups and discuss a few "gotchas" to be aware of.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Wrangler

Robert, I may have misunderstood, but I believe he wants to be able to export to multiple settings, then re-use those same options at a later date by creating a 'group'. As far as I know, it can't be done, but there may be a way to do it by creating a 'droplet' or via Applescript.

I've done a 'droplet' for an effects chain in STP. I can drag and drop an audio file onto the droplet and it will open STP, apply the effect chain, then save and close the application.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Greg, that's exactly what I want to do. I've tried the droplets, which I guess could achieve the same thing but still isn't as easy as clicking an input file in compressor, right click and apply 10 different export files all in a few seconds.

That would be a wonderful feature that Apple should most definitely add.
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Robert, I may have misunderstood, but I believe he wants to be able to export to multiple settings, then re-use those same options at a later date by creating a 'group'. As far as I know, it can't be done, but there may be a way to do it by creating a 'droplet' or via Applescript.
Oh ye of little faith...

Dear brethren, please open thy beloved Compressor Bible to page 315, Chapter 25, verse 1 of the divine text and repeat after me: "I could have figured this one out by searching the built-in manual...". Repeat 3 times and count your P2 rosary just for good measure.

Thine doubtful mind has been healed - no go out among the non-believers and spread the word to those who would spite you. OK, I'm having too much fun now...

(^_*)
Attached Thumbnails
Export "groups" in Compressor?-picture-1.jpg  
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Major Player

Well I'll be... I had no idea you could save a grouping as a droplet, works great in Compressor 2. Thanks Robert for reminding me the manual exists ;)

*\ could've had a V8
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite