intensity Pro HDMI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Major Player

intensity Pro HDMI

Has any one used this on a Mac yet, and any Pros / Cons ??

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._HDMI_and.html

Rob.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Trustee

I have one and have not had a good experience with it.

To be fair to them I was trying to use it for something it was not designed to do. I was trying to capture video via HDMI while machine control and timecode via firewire in FCP.

I could not make that work. FCP would not allow the capture settings to be video via the Intensity card while machine control via firewire. It would give me an error message stating that if the capture setting was not HDV then the machine control could not be HDV and would not initialize the deck [Sony M25U].

When I did capture now via HDMI, ProRes capture looked good but there was an obvious luminance shift capturing via HDMI to DVCProHD.

Quite a few people on the LAFCPUG said this should work and suggested, trashing preferences, reloading FCP, reloading OSX -- all the usual suggestions to every problem associated with FCP. When I asked if anyone had actually done this I never got a reply. I don't think any of the people giving advice actually owned or installed one of these cards.

I have seven Mac Pro's running 10.4.11 and 10.5.x, FCP 6.0.3 and could not capture HDMI with machine control and timecode.

If all your using this card for is to view HD via an external monitor it should work. Since FCP 6.0.3 you can now capture HDV and convert to ProRes in real time directly via firewire with timecode and machine control. I have not re-installed one of these cards to see if it will play out a ProRes timeline captured this way.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 04:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

What Chuck said is basically true... the thing it misses most is machine control and a timecode. I'm unclear as to how this would ever work as the syncing of the HDMI video and firewire timecode is unclear.

However, the card does have it's place. So far I've been using it about 9 months to capture directly off my camera's sensor into prores... a tethered setup that meets my needs of incredible quality for cheap, but I don't need the timecode during these captures.

I'm also looking at the output port to drive a monitor for playback and cc once I get enough saved up for the monitor. I haven't actually tried this yet but I don't expect any issues as capture setup worked right out of the box.
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks,

all i need it to do is play back what is on the time line, on a HD LCD Tv for the color correction.

is any one doing that.?

rob.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Works well in MacPro but...

I'm not using it for output to a HD monitor (yet). But it works well for capture from HDMI, Component, S-Video and Composite.

Also I read that they don't yet work in G5's (if that's where you plan to use it).
(March 17. 2007)
http://blackmagic-design.com/support...asp?techID=175

PowerMac G5's cannot currently be used with Intensity but we do intend to support PCI Express equipped PowerMac G5's with Intensity in the near future. PowerMac G5 PCIe users who require an HDMI capture solution now should consider the DeckLink HD Studio.
Paul E. Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Robert,

I've been using it everyday since it came out (just about) last year. I use it to monitor 1080i HD timelines (HDV and DVCproHD) on an external monitor. I was using a Sharp 1080P LCD but I ended up hating it, so now I'm using the Intensity Pro's real-time down converting to monitor HD on a SD NTSC monitor. Make sense?

I also used it for capturing HDV from the HDMI output on my camera and captured to DVCproHD. Depending on your workflow (as in, no timecode via HDMI) that works really well since editing with HDV isn't nearly as fun as editing in DVCproHD.

Good Luck.
Jeff
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite