Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Getting an SD signal out of a Mac with a FCP 24p HD timeline

Hey all,

We have been struggling with getting a signal out from our Mac running FCP to to a standard SD production monitor.

We just got the Black Magic Intensity Pro. It works perfectly for SD footage on an SD timeline to our SD monitor. However, with our 720 24P footage or 1080 24p footage it doesn't work at all because it will not do the pulldown to convert 24p to 30i (they say that might be in a firmware update some day).

So...

Is there any other sub $1000 hardware out there that will do that for us?

It seems like something that others must face all the time... we just want to monitor the edit on an SD monitor. Hmmmm.

If not sub $1000, what is the best solution above $1000?

We have a great SD monitor, so we'd like to use that. It seems if we have to pay much more than $1000 to drive it, though, we'd be better off just buying an HD monitor.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks.
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

If you're wanting the card to down-scale the HD video to SD-widescreen (letterbox) it was my impression the BM could do it.

The AJA KONA LH/e or KONA 3 absolutely will do what you're wanting; we've been using the KONA series cards ever since we started using FCP 4 years ago without a hitch.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Robert,

Thanks. No, we were on the phone with them today... it can down convert the resolution in 30i or 60i, but it can't do the pull down with 24p. They said they would add it to the firmware upgrade wishlist - not so excited about waiting for that.

Not so excited about paying for the Kona either... hmmmm.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite