DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 25th, 2008, 11:20 AM   #1
New Boot

Workflow - FCP aligning audio/video assets

I'm a student and we did a workshop a couple of weeks ago. Basically, the workshop was a short film. We recorded video on a video camera and audio on a fostex fr-2.

All shots were slated but our video camera couldn't slave timecode from the fostex so we can only use slate for alignment of the assets.

So, the question is "What's the proper or acceptable method of aligning my video and audio assets in FCP?"

I can align them easlily enough in the timeline but would like to have them aligned prior to that so that I can mark in/out points before moving the footage into the timeline.

Any help is much appreciated.

David
David Adamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Double click to open the clip in the viewer. Scrub through the clip and find the moment when the clapboard makes contact (left and right arrow keys move you a frame at a time)...hit "M" to make a marker there.

Double click on the audio file. look for the spike in the waveform where the clapboard makes its loud noise. arrows to get frame precise placement and mark that as well.

When you move them to the time line, you can now align the two markers to have synched sound. You can also use the link audio command (apple-L) to attach the audio to the video within the project. They will now move together.
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Check the FCP manual on creating subclips.
Robert Krupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #4
Trustee

Subclips are used to break a larger clip into smaller more manageable pieces. I don't think that would specifically be the best area to search for these answers unless that section has information on synching sound.

I'll pull out my manuals and double check.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Subclips can be used to make new clips in the project window with sync'd sound. This is a solution that aligns the audio and video prior to cutting, so you can mark in and out points and treat these subclips like normal clips, as per David's request.

I believe that this is the preferred workflow for editing a dual system project. It's mine anyway.
Robert Krupka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Trustee

Cool, thanks for that info. I learn new things every day here :)
Old April 27th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #7
New Boot

I did know how to make a sub-clip but was ignorant to the fact that it was necessary to achieve what I wanted to do.

Thanks again
David Adamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #8
Major Player

I usually make a sequence and sync everything up and add bits of black where necessary to maintain sync and a flowing sequence. As long as you have one camera this method is usually best in FCP.

Basically instead of loading a master clip into the viewer and selecting from there you will now have a "grouped" sequence that you will load instead and cut from there. To load the sequence into the viewer and not actually opening up the sequence in the timeline is done by dropping the sequence from the browser into the viewer itself.
James Brill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite