Duplicating HDD's contents? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 14th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #1

Duplicating HDD's contents?

The hard drive that came with my dual 1ghz mirrored drive door Mac likes to make some funky noises from time to time including beeps and what sounds like the head moving from one location to another for no reason. This is the IBM 120 giger that came with the machine.

Do Macs have any utilities like Norton Ghost to duplicate the contents of a drive 100% or would I need to painstakenly reinstall and transfer EVERYTHING over to a new drive? Maxtors work well for me and they don't beep like the IBMs. Also, has anyone ever heard about the beeping/grinding noises that occur occasionally with these drives?
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 07:39 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Such noises are generally NOT good to hear! I don't know if such
tools exist. Perhaps you can plug both harddisks in a friends
PC system and run a clone tool?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

carbon copy cloner

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your entire hard drive to another. Install the second drive internally as a slave, clone the first drive, test the second drive to be sure it boots and runs properly, remove the original and set it aside and change the second drive to a master. (I don't have your computer so it's possible your second hard drive bay does not require you to configure your second drive as a slave, so check that part). That should do it.
Old July 15th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #4

Carbon Copy Cloner looks to be the perfect program for my needs, and only costs $5! All I need to do now is procure another drive. My drives are set up as cable select. Thanks everyone!
Old July 15th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #5

Well I got another 120 Maxtor hard drive with a $70 rebate from Best Buy. I used Carbon Copy Cloner and it worked perfectly! I did have to reset the date and time for some odd reason, as well as my desktop picture. I imagine that a few other minor surprises may pop up, but at least I don't have to worry about losing my data now.

I have another question, however. If I wanted to keep my older hard drive installed and used soley as a scratch/nonessential disc, how would I go about doing that? I have a dual G4 mirrored drive door with two dual hard drive bays, one of them an ATA 66. Supposedly this computer is always supposed to have every drive set to "cable select". I put the old HDD on the ATA 66 bay as cable select, and it showed up as well as my new drive, but my secondary 60GB HDD did NOT show up (it is with the main drive on the ATA 133). I removed the old drive from the ATA 66 and then suddenly the secondary 60GB drive shows up. Is there something I am not doing correctly?

Thanks again!
Old July 15th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #6
Warden

Does it show up in Apple System Profiler? Double check all your settings and cables. Are you using OS X or 9.x.x?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 02:32 PM   #7

I toggle back and forth between 9 and X frequently. I was booted up in 9 at the time. Did not check the Profiler... the drive is already removed.
Curtis T. Stoeber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite