Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Termini View Post
Like it has been mentioned, Beta SX does indeed look better than DV.
At this point, it's academic for me as I would certainly be doing online in uncompressed 8-bit then out to Beta SX, but I am curious to know how or why Beta SX is alleged to look better than DV. I don't have the means to look at similar footage acquired with each, so I have nothing with which to do a comparison. But based on the technical numbers alone (of course, that doesn't account for everything) I am surprised as I would think the one with less compression and higher bit-rate would result in a better image!
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #17
Inner Circle

On paper, it might be a tossup.

DV is consumer... in other words, it's designed to be cheap. They aren't using the most efficient compression. The use of 4:1:1 color space is I believe a cost-saving measure (it should be possible to get more efficient compression with 4:2:2 and heavier DCT compression on the chroma).

SX I believe uses a 2-frame GOP (or something like that)... which makes its compression more efficient. (Though it also means you can't do insert editing on particular frames.)

I've not used betaSX so I don't know how it compares to DV.

2- The betaSX cameras are probably generally better than DV cameras.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Chan View Post
DV is consumer...

2- The betaSX cameras are probably generally better than DV cameras.
God, I hate it when people do this.

B&H has this Sony DSR-450WSLP for $15K. That is a consumer product? Someone using one cannot produce good video? I don't think so. But if you want to continue this belief go for it.

Now, you did say 'probably' and 'generally' but you could put a DVCAM back on any professional standalone camera. And you could put a SX back on the same camera. Which is better? I don't know but please don't compare a K-Mart single chip to a broadcast 3-chip.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Andy... what I was trying to say is that betaSX footage may look better for reasons that have nothing to do with the format itself, e.g. betaSX cameras are on average more expensive/better than miniDV cameras. So it might simply look better if most of the miniDV footage one has seen is from cheap/mediocre cameras.

2- The other point is that you just can't only compare bitrates and say compression A is better than compression B. e.g. if you look at different desktop MPEG-2 encoders, some do a better job than others at the same bitrate.

As far as whether beta SX is better than DV or vice versa, I wouldn't know because I've never compared the two.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #20
Inner Circle

As I stated, all of the BetaSX footage I've seen wasn't exceptional, not bad, but not exceptional to compared to DVCam or DV. The lowest quality came from a switched set-up. Probably composite video recorded into a BetaSX deck. The cameras were good cameras. Certainly a BetaSX camera will produce a quality image since there are no BetaSX cameras that are less then full size professional quality, no prosumer models, no low end pro 3 chip cameras like a PD-170.

However, remember that BetaSX was mainly designed for news gathering and the format was made for quick ingest into massive news servers. Sony never intended BetaSX to be used as a high quality creative production format. That what DigiBeta was designed for. All the BetaSX I've worked with came from news organizations and one non-profit institution that was sold a bill of goods by some A/V contractor.

Whether BetaSX is better then DV is mostly moot for new productions. DV is still here, BetaSX has been discontinued.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #21
Major Player

I have material shot on the first DVCAM DSR set up with broadcast lenses and the shot was a rocky cliff full of detail it looks awful. Pictures of trees with lots of leaves look terrible. Visually similar shots produced on a DNW 9 look fine. I through out DVCAM at an early stage because of this - big mistake as every one uses it and does not care about the artifacts.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
As someone who has shot both formats extensively, allow me to add this: BetaSX is not a fantastic production format but it IS 4:2:2 colour space compared with DVCam's 4:1:1. Even using dockable backs on the same camera you WILL see a difference on pro/broadcast level monitors.

DVCam is not at ALL a bad format but by capturing into a 4:1:1 colour space (DV/DVCam)from a 4:2:2 medium (BetaSX), you are discarding colour information that you cannot get back. Use DV capture for offline, sure. But I personally would use an uncompressed workflow for online.

As well, my preference when working wih SX is to make sure I have exceedingly large handles (5+ seconds) on every clip to ensure I have included the keyframe in my capture, regardless of how much I may trim my edits or include dissolves. Try playing SX backward or frame by frame NOT from a keyframe and you'll see the format fall apart.
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:51 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
my preference when working wih SX is to make sure I have exceedingly large handles (5+ seconds) on every clip to ensure I have included the keyframe in my capture
That's a great tip, thanks!

I'm hoping to get a response to my bid by the end of the month.
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
I'm hoping to get a response to my bid by the end of the month.
Bon chance, mon ami!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite