DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 17th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Exporting HD from Final Cut Express

Hi guys,
When I export my 1080i60 footage out of FCE, I seem to lose a lot of the richness of the color and the sharpness/clarity of the overall picture. I have been exporting with the following settings:
-MP4 using H.264
-5000 kbps
-1280x720
-keyframing = 24
-frame rate = current

The issue is that when I view the film within FCE, it looks spectacularly vibrant and sharp and I thought I would be able to retain much of that with the settings I just listed.
Any suggestions would be great!
-Steve
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Nothing? I'm the only one with this problem? Blast!
-Steve
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I don't know what help I can be, we aren't shooting HD as of yet. However, what was your source footage? If you export as a self contained file out of FC (using sequence settings, no compression), how does the resulting QT file look?

Just trying to narrow down the source of the issue....

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bisom View Post
I don't know what help I can be, we aren't shooting HD as of yet. However, what was your source footage? If you export as a self contained file out of FC (using sequence settings, no compression), how does the resulting QT file look?

Just trying to narrow down the source of the issue....

Mike
My source footage was HDV imported from an XH-A1 and captured as Apple Intermediate Codec. I haven't done a full quality Quicktime export yet, only the MP4 for the web... I'll do a Qtime export and get back to you. Thanks for the help Mike!
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #5
Major Player

You are compressing your image a heck of a lot when you export to web, you are going to lose richness and vibrant colours with those settings, without a doubt. Nothing you can do about it really, apart from play around with your settings until you are happy with them.

(Also, other changes in colour may be related to gamma differences in the native Final Cut timeline and in regular quicktime environment this is quite a complicated area that i'm not really qualified to go into detailed explanation about - sufficive to say I know it's an issue for some projects.)
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite