DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 31st, 2008, 05:05 AM   #1
Trustee

Build or buy a cluster?

I'm remarkably happy with my laptop it does all of the editing I currently need to do and it's portable the only I only run into issues when i'm trying to do any rendering or compressing. I've used to some success the compressor software with qmaster so I think I would like to try and setup my own cluster or render farm to take advantage of it.

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to try and build a "hackintosh" render farm as it would be a waste it seems to get a whole bunch of macs with video cards etc to setup. With a very basic setup I think I could build 3 dual quadcore 2.33ghz machines and pop on qmaster giving me in effect 24 cores with which to work the obvious downside is that it would be a "hacked" product to run apple software and it would strictly exist only as a render farm (without adding to the cost)

For the same price I could buy a bottom of the line mac pro which has all of the benefits of being a plug and play mac. Also I suppose I would be able to take advantage of local processor intense applications like color. I would probably make that my editing computer though leaving my macbook pro to kinda go to waste (except of course for location stuff) the other downside would be 8 cores (though faster) as opposed to 24 I'm not 100% sure what the difference computing wise would be and if it would even be worthwhile to try and have 24 cores on the other hand it could mean 2-3x the speed of the render which would be awesome.

I'm just looking for any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone tried something like this yet?
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Not all software support distributed rendering... e.g. FCP, as far as I know, doesn't support it.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:54 PM   #3
Trustee

I think you're right so the only real advantage would be for compressor, in which case it would probably better to let FCP have the 8 core's instead...
Old May 31st, 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Unfortunately FCP only allows for distributed processing for Compressor (ver 3) not for rendering individual segments in a timeline.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Trustee

Well that sort of decides it then I guess!
Thanks guys!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite