Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 21st, 2003, 10:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting MPG2 w/FCP 3

Greetings

I have a Mac G4 Powerbook with Final Cut Pro 3. I have just completed another wedding and now am stuck becuse I can not export it to DVD. I use DVD Studio Pro 1.5. Every time I go through export to MPG2 it starts then maybe an hour later it just stops and the message says GENERAL ERROR. The smaller recap about 10 min exported fine. The entire wedding is about 45 min and I can't get it to MPEG 2 becaue of the error. I have also found this problem exporting large quicktime movies.

I need advice quick. This is my first DVD project in DVD studio pro that was this long. I used to make my DVDs with DVDit on my PC. I have made some project with DVD studio pro but they have been short clips. The problem is I can't get the video out of final cut pro to MPEG2.

thanks for your help
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 12:43 PM   #2
Warden

How much hard drive space do you have? This sounds like possibly a space issue.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have a 20 gig internal with about 7 gigs used and an external firewire 80 gig with about 40 gigs used. I have plenty of space. It seems when I have large exports it cuts out around 2 gig into the exports.
www.katanapro.com
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:53 PM   #4
Warden

Are you using OS 9 or OS X. I don't remember, but there might be a 2 gig limit under OS 9. If you're using OS X use the Drive Utility and check what driver your using (should be Mac Extended).

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am using OS X. I am not sure how to check the driver. Can you walk me through it? Lets say maybe it is the wrong driver. How do I change it or update it.

thanks
www.katanapro.com
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:55 PM   #6
Warden

Open the Drive Utility and click on the drive you want info on, then select the Information Tab and look at the Format Heading. It should show HFS+. This will allow bigger than 2 gig files. If the drives are not HFS+ you'll need to reformat the drives (which will erase ALL information).

What OS are you using?

Old July 22nd, 2003, 01:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am going to check when I get back to the studio. I think I am running OS 10.1.3 or maybe 10.1.5

There has got to be an easier way to get a larger file if it is not formated HFS+. I don't know yet. When I first got my Maxtor firewire (7200) drives when I pluged it in it promted me to format the drives and I just followed the directions on screen.

I guess one way to do this if I need to reformat is move all my files to another hard drive, reformat the drive with the HFS+ and then move the files back. Will that work? Will I be able to move the files back?

I will have to check.

thanks
www.katanapro.com
Old July 22nd, 2003, 01:56 PM   #8
Warden

I remember a number of pre Jaguar user having trouble with the Apple encoder. I would suggest updating to the latest version of Jaguar, 10.2.6 That will be cheaper than using another program to do the encoding. If you have Cleaner you can try it, but if not try Jaguar. Another option that had limited success was trashing FCP and reinstalling.

Old July 22nd, 2003, 02:19 PM   #9
Capt. Quirk

Though I am not a Mac user, I have noticed that QT has more color depth than standard avi's do. Does it keep this nice color when exported to mpeg?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 05:52 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Greetings

Well I checked my drives and my internal is Mac OS Extended, but my external is Mac OS standard. So thats the problem and I can fix it. I exported my file to the internal hard drive and it worked with no problem. I normally would not use that drive for video.

So, if I move my files to my hard drive, reformat the external drive, will I be able to move those files back. They are mostly projects in FCP3 captures. One I am not done with and the other I am just holding just in case there are changes. I would not want to have to start over.

Jeff thanks for the answer. You hit it right off. I have migrated to the Mac side gradually over the past few months and so far I am a happy camper. I would be alot happier if I could get that new G5 system. I looking to get one in a few months : -)
www.katanapro.com
Old July 23rd, 2003, 06:18 AM   #11
Warden

Yes you can move the files back and forth as you propose with no problems. Glad I could help.

Old July 24th, 2003, 12:59 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Just as a follow up I reformatted my drive to Mac OS extended. Moved the files back with no problems. All is well. It may have been an easy help note for you but it really saved the day for me.

thanks again
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite