White Flash Transition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 9th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #1
Major Player

White Flash Transition

Hi, since moving from Vegas to FCP theres a few things i miss (and many more i dont) but one of things i'm trying to recreate is the flash transition which i used alot. Now, i could re-create this transition by manipulating the clips with keyframing etc but im sure there must be a plugin or something out there for a simple flash to white video transition. Any ideas?
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Regular Crew

think u could use the dip to color dissolve in transitions menu and then double click on the transition once in the timeline and it will bring up the parameters in the viewer window and you can set color to white and adjust the length of said transition make it short for that abrupt flash feel
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Donohue View Post
think u could use the dip to color dissolve in transitions menu and then double click on the transition once in the timeline and it will bring up the parameters in the viewer window and you can set color to white and adjust the length of said transition make it short for that abrupt flash feel
Exactly.

Try 6 frames. Adjust to taste. Then make it a FAVORITE and it'll be a menu click away forever.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Or download the filters from nattress in either the big box of tricks or the film effects there are a couple of flashes in there - i use them all the time, i think they're a lot more effective than a quick dip to colour dissolve. They'll cost you about $100 each and are well worth it (esp for me with the exchange rate - about £100 for both!)
Old June 10th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Or edit in a couple of frames of Slug and change it to White with the 3-way CC. Simple.
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Daniel,

I know the dissolve you want and it is not a dip to color or dissolve to white slug (I know as a former Vegas user), try downloading the free Eureka Plugins here: http://www.kafwang.com/EUREKA/EurekaMain.html

There is a flash dissolve they call "Vapor Across" that installs along with a few filters.

I'd also say the Nattress plugins look good but I haven't used anything but the freebies.
http://www.nattress.com/
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Too Much Too Soon's "Flashframe" might do the trick...

http://www.mattias.nu/plugins/

It's free!
Mike Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Major Player

You might want to try an "additive dissolve" too. It's not a simply white color flash, it a little more interesting as it kind blows out the image in a flash. (of course you have control of how long you want the "flash")
It depends on what you are doing, but you should definately look at it.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flynn View Post
Too Much Too Soon's "Flashframe" might do the trick...

http://www.mattias.nu/plugins/

It's free!
I concur. This is the plug-in I use for this effect and I dig it. It blows out the image as it dissolves to white and is more convincing than a dip-to-color transition.

-Jon
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Wow that's alot of valuable information, thanks everyone im going to download and do some testing tonight.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite