Premiere editing problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere editing problem

Hi, just tried editing for the first time on a Mac with Premiere.
I think I chose the right settings but when ive gone to view the footage, it has a pinky hue to it all. However, when I look in the view finder it shows the right colour. Also, when im tracking thru the timeline it shows the odd colouring but when i stop - it looks fine.
My camera is screwed, the pull out view piece has snapped off so i have to press in the side panel so it shows in the view finder - could the problem be this rather than the editing set up?
cheers.
Trent O Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:17 AM   #2
Warden

If you play it back on a TV how does it look?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hmm, I havent got a tv to test it out - i'll have to get one set up. If it comes out ok then i guess its the camera - otherwise it would be....?
Old July 23rd, 2003, 07:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

ok - using Imovie, the footage has a pink hue to it but when exported back to dv - it looks fine. as it does on tape before it goes in.
on premiere its the same. it even looks the right colour when the timeline is still but as i drag the timeline along, the colour goes back to the pinky look.
i cant export back to tape for some reason in premiere? can anyone help? i have footage on the timeline, saved the project but the export to tape option isnt highlighted.
Old July 25th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

Is it ALWAYS pink, or only when you do something with it? If it
is always pink my guess would be that either your monitor is
broken, setup wrongly or a wrong color profile has been loaded.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2003, 08:26 AM   #6
Warden

Give more details about your computer, memory, OS etc. It sounds hardware related, as Rob suggests. Wrong color profile or your using old drivers for the video display etc.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old July 25th, 2003, 09:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

My Mac:

Mac OS X vers. 10.2
Memory: 1.5Gb
Processors: Dual867 G4
Display: 1280x1024. Colours: Millions. Colour: Calibrated profile.

As I say, it looks ok in the view finder. Its captured with a pinkish hue. when brought to the timeline it looks fine in the monitor when still but goes pinky as soon as its played. when i stop it - its looks ok again.

as a seperate issue. when im editing in premiere, the 'export to tape' isnt highlighted. how do i get a timeline back on to a dv tape? ive done it on imovie fine. the colour on dv after export by the way was normal.
Old July 25th, 2003, 10:08 AM   #8
Warden

I'm suspecting either the video driver or your custom profile. Is the profile for video or print? They have different requirements. Are you running the latest OS, 10.2.6? The upgrade is free but the combo upgrade is 85mb.

Old July 25th, 2003, 10:17 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Im not good with technical stuff. what should the profile be?
looking at imovie - the clips look the right colour. the large monitor looks pinky. the clip pic on the timeline looks fine.

any obvious reason for the 'export to tape' not being highlighted on premiere?
Old July 25th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #10
Warden

When you say calibrated profile, do you mean using the Mac utility software in the Monitor System Preferences, or something calibrated with hardware like a spider? Try going to Monitors in the System Preferences and selecting default. If colors change it was the profile. If not it may be the video drivers and you need to update your OS if you're not at 10.2.6

I haven't used premiere in years, but have you selected it in the timeline?

Old July 25th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #11
Regular Crew

ok - i'm being an idiot.
on system preferences i cant c 'monitor'. there is 'displays' with a picture of a screen. theres no 'default' option tho within it.

as for 'export to tape' i have selected it on the timeline, rendered, saved, it just wont highlight.
Old July 25th, 2003, 11:03 AM   #12
Warden

I'm sorry, Monitors was the old System 9 Control Panel. It is Display under OS X. Depending on the type of monitor (LCD, CRT) a default may or may not show. Use the color tab in Display Preferences and choose Apple RGB or Color LCD. You can always switch back to the calibrated profile you created (it should show in the list with the name you gave it).

I just don't know Premiere well enough to help. Try posting the question in PC forum. There are more Premiere users there. Does a camera have to be connected?

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite