DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

MacBook Pro Specs for HD editing

Hey gang, after much deliberation I am getting a MacBook Pro for editing HD footage coming off of my HVX200. Any suggestions on specs, processors etc? Right now I actually use a MacBook which does the job, but it is really slow. I wanted to go for the jugular and get the MacPro, but I do a lot of field shooting and I need a way to backup relatively quickly off the Firestore or P2 card to Hard Drive. I am thinking of a 15 in MacBook Pro since it fits better in many backpacks.

Thanks.
Jon Iannacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 04:00 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Literally any of the MBP models will do perfectly well; get as much RAM as you can afford and make sure you use external drives to save your assets/renders etc. There's tons of posts on this forum about how to work exclusively with a laptop especially with P2.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #3
Better than Halle Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Iannacone View Post
Hey gang, after much deliberation I am getting a MacBook Pro for editing HD footage coming off of my HVX200. Any suggestions on specs, processors etc? Right now I actually use a MacBook which does the job, but it is really slow. I wanted to go for the jugular and get the MacPro, but I do a lot of field shooting and I need a way to backup relatively quickly off the Firestore or P2 card to Hard Drive. I am thinking of a 15 in MacBook Pro since it fits better in many backpacks.

Thanks.
That's what I use- 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo and it works like a charm. Couple of things to consider- number one you need either a P2 Store, P2 Drive or a Duel Adapter for the ingest. Number 2- you want fast hard drives like a G-RAID 2 with Firewire 800. Don't forget to max your RAM too. The machine itself is more than up to the task.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite