BRHD50U not working with Kona LHe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 8th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Major Player

BRHD50U not working with Kona LHe

I'm having the exact same issue another poster had trying to capture 720P 59.94 over component.

capture using FCP 6.01 and JVC BRHD50U deck. Prompt screen repeatedly reads "A new tape has been inserted in the VTR. You may wish to change the Reel settings" common when changing tapes but I'm not changing tapes! Also the deck communication status info located at the bottom center of the capture window bounces back and forth between "VTR OK" and "VTR In Local" as play stop fast forward and rewind buttons flash back and forth intermittently. All of which makes capture impossible!
Deck is connected via RS422 from AJA Kona Lhe Card All device control settings are correct (AJA Kona LH:59.94 Panasonic VTR). Control panel settings in Kona Control panel all seem to be correct.

It will not even batch capture, says it can't find timecode.

Positively it is not the deck.

aja vtr exchange appears to work just fine.

any ideas?<br><br>
Mark Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Trustee

multiple errors here

the TC from the deck isn't 59.94 unless its shot at 60p. in 30p you get 30 FPS TC, and in 24P the deck spits out 24 FPS, but FCP still translates it into 30. HUGE BUG.

if you mark a point that end at say, 44 frames, then when the deck goes to seek frame 44, its not there because its sending 30FPS which will wrap at 29 frames to zero. with 24P tapes, its even worse because all frames over 23 aren';t there. FCP will let you set a point at 25 frames for example, but when it goes to shuttle the tape into preroll position, the single frame mode is read and the cheat FCP is using to translate 24->30 isn't being used !
DUUUHHHHHH!

and FCP just sucks when it comes to machine control & the JVC deck. always has except in 5.0.4... but that didn't support 24fps native HDV capture.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Steve I capture that way ALL THE TIME using black magic's multibridge pro and easy setups.

With the Kona LH-E ONLY it has this problem.

I know it records 29.97 tc, but the deck outputs 59.94 over component.

it has to be a kona problem.
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Trustee

when you shoot 24FPS, the camera records 24fps TC, the deck sends 24FPS TC.

the video signal going out the component outs is 24fps@59.94 with 3:2, actually 6:4 pulldown embedded. the deck does not send 59.94 TC... unless its 60P but I have never had a 60P tape to test.

the video frame rate of 59.94 has nothing to do with the TC frame rate, especially in this case since 59.94 its really just a transport stream for many different frame rates.

with the kona I've captured using the 720P59.94 video input setting, but used 30 FPS for the TC because thats what the deck sends... then it will work.

if the BM hardware works this way, great, but the kona doesn't
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Wrangler

I'm moving this over to the FCP forum because you'll have a better chance at finding a Kona guru. I'm a Blackmagic Decklink guy so I can't offer any suggestions.
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

I'd highly suggest contacting AJA tech support; they'd have a definitive answer in seconds.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Major Player

thanks guys
Old July 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #8
Major Player

I'm putting this here in case someone else has the same problem.

I recieved a replacement kona lh from aja, made no difference
on this particular problem.

I have a keyspan usb to serial adapter and decided to give
that a try.

It works perfectly.

so the workaround for me at this point is to bypass kona
serial control and use the keyspan.
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #9
Trustee

"All device control settings are correct (AJA Kona LH:59.94 Panasonic VTR)."

its supposed to be sony, at least that works for me. I've tried both 30 and 24 settings but FCP always translates to 30NDF.

interesting that it works with the keyspan adaptor which puts TC out of the hands of the Kona 422 port driver .
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite