DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 18th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Motion vs AE

I'm somewhat new to Motion and have not ever used AE. I've seen several times, in many different threads, people mention that they use AE because Motion won't do what they need. So far, I haven't run into anything I can't do in motion; so my question is: what are all you trying to do that can't be done in Motion???

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Last edited by Mark Keck; July 18th, 2008 at 08:53 AM.
Mark Keck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Major Player

The biggest thing I notice is when working in 2.5d (or 3d layers as both programs would call it), in motion layers don't through shadows so it doesn't look like a completed interactive scene the way it would in AE.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Better than Halle Berry

Also complex green screen compositing is better in After Effects or really in Shake than in Motion.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Motion does some things really well and easier than AE. The presets in Motion are great and some people can take off from these and create some amazing new effects. I happen not to be one of these people. Something about Motion puts up a mental roadblock where AE doesn't.

AE is a very well thought out program that's been around for a long time for a good reason. It provide you with many of the tools to create effects from scratch in a coherent manner. While AE has a steep learning curve, once you get past that it's a robust program. Photoshop really integrates nicely with AE.

It all depends on the sort of effect work you are doing. If you are doing graphics for shows, Motion might be the better program. I know people who do a lot of local commercial work with Motion. If you are doing matte work with motion tracking, AE probably is the better program.
Old July 18th, 2008, 04:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks all for the comments.

Jeremy, If I understand correctly, AE will project a shadow of a layer onto the layers underneath in 3d mode but Motion won't???

Noah, I would agree greenscreen in motion is laking... without a plugin that is. However, dvmatte is reported to be very much up to the task. I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen it's results and it looks very good. So AE can handle greenscreen well without a plug in???

Reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering if it's worth the effort to get and learn for an amature like myself.
Old July 19th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #6
Major Player

In my opinion, Motion is way better for generating stuff, creating BGs and such, while AE is leaps and bounds more controllable and better for intricate mograph and compositing.

They are slightly different beasts.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala View Post
In my opinion, Motion is way better for generating stuff, creating BGs and such, while AE is leaps and bounds more controllable and better for intricate mograph and compositing..
My feelings, exactly. Motion, After Effects -- and I'll through Shake in there too -- are all geared towards different tasks. They do cover some common ground, but the way they work and what they excel at doing are still very different.
Old July 20th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
My feelings, exactly. Motion, After Effects -- and I'll through Shake in there too -- are all geared towards different tasks. They do cover some common ground, but the way they work and what they excel at doing are still very different.
Mike, Jiri, Do you use both apps then??? I think you're right, but it seems to me that there is a significant overlap in what they can do and most just use one or the other for all their (completcated) effects.
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Keck View Post
Mike, Jiri, Do you use both apps then??? I think you're right, but it seems to me that there is a significant overlap in what they can do and most just use one or the other for all their (completcated) effects.
I have experimented with Shake and Motion, but have worked with After Effects more than the others. I don't use either all that much, to tell you the truth; I'm an editor, not a motion graphics or VFX artist. I'll use AE for a few transitions or relatively simple effects, that's about it so far. I am starting to take a closer look at Motion 3 (which appears to be a large improvement from v1, which was the last time I touched it) for things like chapter titles, DVD menus, etc.

If Motion is serving all your needs, and you're comfortable with Motion's methodology, then there isn't really any compelling reason to look elsewhere, IMHO.
Old July 20th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments Mike. I'm mainly just trying to learn... to paraphrase what I originally asked "what are you trying to do in Motion that is easier, better, faster in AE???". I can't count the number of post where I've seen people comment on this, and I'm just wondering what I'm missing.
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #11
Major Player

I find AE to give me more control, as the behaviors in Motion seem to give things a mind of their own. However if I dont' know exactly what I want Motion is great because all the content is a great starting point. AE allows the use of expressions which is a great way to control animations and link things together to make complex animations easier.
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Keck View Post
Thanks all for the comments.

Jeremy, If I understand correctly, AE will project a shadow of a layer onto the layers underneath in 3d mode but Motion won't???
Yes. That is exactly what I am saying.
Jeremy Doyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite