DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Trimming the FCS bloat.

Hi,

My HD is filling up rapidly and I would like to find ways of trimming unused material on it. I read that FCS has an inordinate amount of 'bloat' in programmes like Soundtrack Pro), so to speak, in terms of samples and such like.

Can anyone recommend a safe way to remove such files (I am pretty sure that I have never used them) such that they don't destroy one's current edits? I can't find the post on here that mentioned it a while back (on the EX forum strangely, I think).

Many thanks in advance,

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

I would not recommend changing the installed applications for Final Cut Studio especially in the middle of a project, you're only asking for trouble.

With respect to "bloat", that's probably a term used to describe the fact that as the newer, more modern apps have become more "drag-n-drop" friendly it requires a great deal more code to pull that off, not to mention the added human-interface goodies we'll all become accustomed to seeing.

FCS gives you the option during installation to *not* install applications you either don't use or don't want, but as I say it's not a good idea to try and de-install anything once it's installed.

If you're running out of room on your HDD then it's time to add more space, either in larger internals or external HDD's. Don't try monkey-ing around with the installed apps, you'll pay for it later in troubleshooting the problems that creates.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Robert.

Yeah, I guessed as much. Looking for a solution 'now' rather than the proper one. Funny what desire does to reasoning.

Jus.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Better than Halle Berry

Well all of the Soundtrack Pro samples can be dumped without any issues and that's quite a few GB. To be safe I would suggest moving them to an external hard drive. That way if anything screws up you can put them right back. Just take notes of where things came from. And move by folder not file.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Major Player

Location?

Noah,

Where are those generally located?

Jus.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Trustee

right, all the sound track pro samples can be dumped **IF** you are not using them in a project. this can eat up 8gigs of space or more

you can also dump the DVD SP template media. for example, if you are NTSC, do a search for PAL and you'll find all the PAL clips DVD SP installs. thats worth a gig or two. in fact most of the DVD SP media files are so hokey anyways they are just a waste of space as I don't think very many people every use them at all.

same for motion as well.

just use the search to find the stuff.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:40 AM   #7
Trustee

IMHO it would make more sense to purchase an inexpensive firewire external hard drive for use with your video files, rather than clearing apps and related files on your boot drive.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM   #8
Major Player

LiveType, motion and soundtrack assets (samples, templates...) take up nearly 40 gigs of disk space, and you can remove them at will.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM   #9
Trustee

If you've been doing a bunch of projects on your main hard drive, all that footage is in there. I would recommend moving the projects into individual project folders each with their own scratch disk folders (capture scratch, audio renders and renders). Then move the footage from your Final Cut Pro Documents > Capture Scratch folder to the newly created heirarchy and remove the old stuff on the main hard drive after verifying your copy.

I actually just got done dealing with exactly this issue with someone else.
Old August 3rd, 2008, 04:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

A basic installation of just the FCS programs is about 3 a 4 GB.
A complete installation with all the samples, templates, fonts, etc. is about 55 GB. So yeah, there is a difference, depending if you did a complete installation or not.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite