Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Talkin' bout ProRes422

Alrighty then,
Here is the sitch (situation): I have captured about 3 hours of HDV 1080i60. I want, however, to work in ProRess422. What is proper method of going about this? My Easy Setup is HDV 1080i60 FireWire Basic right now. How do i convert my footage to Prores? Do it with each individual clip, timeline, entire project??? I clearly need help, thanks!
-Steve
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Steve,

I'd say capture the clips as HDV into one bin then right click (or command click as they say) on that bin and send it to Compressor. Then punch in ProRes422 and your render location and hit start. From there, go directly to your favorite bar while it renders each every clip for you automatically.

Or, buy something like a Black Magic Intensity card and capture via HDMI if your camera has it. Only downside there is no time code and that might be a bad thing with 3 hours of footage.
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Better yet try just capturing everything as HDV over firewire but set your sequences up as pro res, pick the same frame rate and what not. What will happen is when you start dropping clips into your pro res sequences you will see a dark green bar. You can play the video back just fine for that is only to see it at it's fullest resolution, this will however break the HDV long GOP and none of the effects you render will need to conform to the Long GOP. The preview render is one of only a few seconds depending on the size of the clip.
James Brill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Brill View Post
Better yet try just capturing everything as HDV over firewire but set your sequences up as pro res, pick the same frame rate and what not. What will happen is when you start dropping clips into your pro res sequences you will see a dark green bar. You can play the video back just fine for that is only to see it at it's fullest resolution, this will however break the HDV long GOP and none of the effects you render will need to conform to the Long GOP. The preview render is one of only a few seconds depending on the size of the clip.
Thanks James,
I have been wondering by the way, what does the "FULL" render actually consist of? I mean, when the bar is dark green, vs. greyish when I render with "FULL" selected.. what is the diff? Does it matter when going to MP4/MOV or DVD?
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #5
Major Player

There are different colors are levels of rendering, the closer to red the harder it will be for your computer to playback without a render. I always do the render in the end but I would imagine it is fine if you don't.
James Brill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite