DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Slow motion

I'm editing some wedding stuff in FCP and I've noticed that when I slow a clip down to 75% or 50%, I usually get a stuttering effect. Is there a way around this? I'm coming over from Vegas where I never noticed that before. I was always told to try to slow things down by a quarter or third, but thats about it.
Any thoughts?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Major Player

There are a number of things that can cause this, the first thing I would do is check and see if you need to render the timeline. To render hit (option R).
If you do a lot of slow-mo you may want to consider using the optical flow feature in Motion or even better Twixtor.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Also, if you're doing slow motion on 24p footage, it's not going to look anywhere near as smooth as slow motion on 60i footage.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm pretty sure all of the footage is 60i. I'm going to take a look at Twixtor as well.
Thanks!
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

In order to get really good-looking slo-mo in post on FCP you need to use the Optical Flow retiming which is ported over from Motion. Twixtor is much easier to use and I think has a better final output but the full motion-control suite is almost the cost of FCS2, so be prepared.
Old July 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Major Player

When using FCP's native speed control panel make sure that Frame Blending is selected, this should help
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
I'm editing some wedding stuff in FCP and I've noticed that when I slow a clip down to 75% or 50%, I usually get a stuttering effect. Is there a way around this? I'm coming over from Vegas where I never noticed that before. I was always told to try to slow things down by a quarter or third, but thats about it.
Any thoughts?
What sort of stuttering? I slow footage done all the time and never get what I would classify as a stutter. The only stutter I can imagine is if the field order was somehow reversed. What format are you shooting and editing in?
Old July 30th, 2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Major Player

We are shooting in HDV and editing in ProRes. I'll see if I can upload some clips later.
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Major Player

I have the same with 50P footage which I want to slow down to 50% in a 25P project.
In Premiere Pro it would do this flawlessly, but the result in FCP is not satisfying at the moment. It is very stuttery after exporting, while the frames doesn't need to do any frame blending at all. As the imported file has double the amount of frames available.
In Adobe Premiere Pro it's called 'Interpret footage'. Is there something similar available in FCP?
Old July 31st, 2008, 12:25 AM   #10
Major Player

in FCP you would use Cinema Tools to conform the frame rate
see this thread at the COW http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/936223
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite