DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Change FCP Serial Number?

For about three months, I've been toying with FCP Studio 2 on another one of my systems and final bought a second license. The deal is, I really don't want to uninstall the entire package simply to change the serial number - Does anyone know a way (like deleting prefs) which would require me to enter my new Serial Number?
Please save me the hassle of installing 5 DVD discs.
Thanks,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

its probably easier re-installing than wait on the phone for apple support to find out the answer.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:29 AM   #3
Trustee

Yes, there are a couple of hidden files that need to get deleted (at least that's how it used to work). They are in the System/Library/Application Support stuff somewhere.

If you use terminal, you can use the 'ls -al' (without the quotes) to see the hidden files and info about them. 'cd directory_name' will change directories for you (cd and ls are the mainstay of the terminal if you're unfamiliar - Change Directory and LiSt). If your directory names have spaces (like "Application Support"), either escape the space with a backslash (above the return key on the right side of the keyboard - the other one that everyone calls the backslash is actually the forward slash -- so annoying ;) ) or encase the name in single quotes... example:

Code:
cd 'Application Support'
or
cd Application\ Support
The 'rm' command will ReMove the file specified after the command, 'rm filename'...I prefer to move it to my desktop just in case it breaks something 'mv filename ~/Desktop/' ... the ~ character is a shortcut for your home directory for whatever user is logged in, the forward slashes denote a subdirectory.

Specifically, I believe it's this one:

Code:
/Library/Application Support/ProApps/Final Cut Pro System ID
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Excellent!

This was totally what I needed. All you have to do is move the Final Cut Studio System ID file from the desktop. Here is what the window says:
Attached Images

Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Drews View Post
This was totally what I needed. All you have to do is move the Final Cut Studio System ID file from the desktop. Here is what the window says:
Geeks RULEXORS!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite