FCP keeps crashing - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:28 PM   #31
Major Player

By the way, folks, I discovered about a week ago that I had my Blackmagic card in the wrong slot on the Mac - it should be in the top (fastest) slot.

That has improved the crashing about 50%, but the issue is by no means cured. The latest Pro Apps and QT which came out a couple of days ago has helped somewhat too.

I never said that I wasn't an idiot.

Harry.
Harry Bromley-Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I would hope it would have to be a project with several times the material and much more complex timelines. I did just try copying the timeline and turning it into Pro Res instead of xdcam, to see if that helped the render issue, but that crashes, too.

Harry: I'll mention that to my systems guy, since he built the system.

Thanks.

Last edited by John Godwin; September 22nd, 2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: add info
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Check for bad RAM also. Pull the RAM (or have your system person do it) and reboot. Things would certainly get sluggish but if the crashes stop that could be it.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM   #34
Regular Crew

That was the first thing he tried a couple of weeks ago when he was here. I'm thinking maybe we should try it againn, maybe with a different brand of RAM.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Just as a reality check, I took the project and the material (on a g-raid) over to my Macbook Pro, again. All the bins open fine without locking up and it renders without problems ... so far. Evidently it is some specific combination of hardware and software on the Mac Pro.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:42 AM   #36
Regular Crew

I started the xdcam transfer application outside of Final Cut and got the attached screen, warning that the MPEG IMX Codecs are need by xdcam transfer and evidently are missing. Now, FCP has had a full reinstall during all this and so have the xdcam utilities.

Does anyone know:
How to check if these are installed somewhere?
If not, do I need to install them?
Where to get and install them?
If this actually might be the source of these crashing problems?

I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
FCP keeps crashing-picture-1.png  

Last edited by John Godwin; September 24th, 2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: screen didn't attach
Old October 13th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #37
Tourist

blame XDCAM

I keep having the same problem with XDCAM HD. It seems to be a codec problem from sony on the MacPro.
There are some work arounds posted at Random crashing with XDCAM HD : Apple Final Cut Pro
Matt Slocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Matt,

There was a gentleman who has similar issues that replied earlier in this thread. He doesn't use xdcam. I do think there are some issues with xdcam but I don't think that's the main issue.

My vendor completely reinstalled everything from the operating system on about a week ago. It did help with the problems, but it didn't fix them, merely cut down on the occurences. I'm really hoping Apple issues a patch that resolves this.

And, again, NONE of this happens on the Macbook pro laptop.

Last edited by John Godwin; October 19th, 2008 at 05:33 PM. Reason: spellinng
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Further Update:

Finally, today, my vendor and I removed the Kona 3 card from the system, and uninstalled the software. No crashing. Put the card back in, crashes.

Tomorrow we're trying a different Kona 3 card.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:01 AM   #40
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godwin View Post
Further Update:

Finally, today, my vendor and I removed the Kona 3 card from the system, and uninstalled the software. No crashing. Put the card back in, crashes.

Tomorrow we're trying a different Kona 3 card.
John, I am having the same problem with my Blackmagic multibridge pro. I would be interested if you and your vendor finally solved the problem. I am now using media manager to convert entire projects to prorez. Hope this will be stable, even though I have had mixed success with this codec.
Georg Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:26 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Georg,

What finally seemed to do the trick was moving the Kona card into slot 3 instead of slot 4. There was also a software upgrade/update with the Kona, but I *think* moving it to the other slot was the main factor... I know on my previous systems, on PCs, slot/card order could be a massive big deal.

Again, none of this ever happened/happens on 2 mac book pros. Only on the mac pro with the Kona card.

It took me six months of complaining to the systems integrator before they would really check out the hardware. They kept saying it was a software issue. I come from editing with Liquid (at the high end of that spectrum) on PCs, and 75% of the problems I had were hardware issues.

Hope this helps in some way ....

Last edited by John Godwin; April 2nd, 2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: clarity
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Just to wrap this up - it turned out there was apparently a bad drive in my RAID set. I thought my vendor had checked it, and being new to mac I didn't even know how to check it. I did ask that all the hardware be checked out, but evidently that never fully happened.

The first full replacement RAID worked for a week and then became intermittent - I was shipped a new RAID enclosure, put in the drives, and that one has been working ever since.

At this point I don't know if the Kona 3 card really had anything to do with this at all, as everything seems to be humming along nicely now that the RAID is functional.

I do wish the vendor had been a bit more diligent about checking out the hardware, instead of assuming operator error or software issues. It would have saved me months of problems. But I hope someone else benefits from this experience.

Best,
John
John Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite