Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 4th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV and SDV multiclips with SD output ?

Hi,

Has anyone sorted out the best workflow in order to intermix HDV and SD (Sony Z7U and Sony 2100) with multiclipping. The output will be SD.

For multiclipping the frame size has to match; I think that 'upressing' the SD makes the most sense since that leaves you with the ability to zoom on the original HDV footage. However, when I drop them into a Final Cut SD sequence, the HDV footage (original and upressed) gets letterboxed. At this point I have to enlarge both items. No issue for the HDV original but the upressed SD footage picture quality degrades due to the double size adjustment.

It seems like I should be able to make a single size adjustment in order to maximize the quality of the original SD footage but I haven't figured it out yet. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Jon Goulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:02 AM   #2
Major Player

I haven't had need to do this but heres a workflow that you might want to consider.

1) Capture the native HDV
2) Use Media Manager to "Recompress" to DV for use as a proxy
3) Creation Multiclip's; Edit; Collapse Multiclip
4) Find all clip instances of DV proxy in timeline
5) Reconnect to HDV original
6) Frame as appropriate
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite