Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 6th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Simpletech external hdd not recognized

Hi

I have problems with my external SimpleTech Pininfarina harddrive (500GB). It's connected via USB. But often it won't be recognized by my new Macbook Pro. I have used it several times, but the last times this has happened. So frustrating, since I have hours of video material on the disc.
Actually when I bought it, the first disc wouldn't appear at all, so I got a new one by the shop. The second one worked until now...
Anybody has an idea what to do? I have tried to connect it to a macbook, but this wouldn't recognize it at all.
Thanks
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hello,

I trust you are plugging this drive into an AC outlet? I won't go into a tirade of why bus powered drives are a really bad idea unless you absolutely have no choice. If you are not plugging it into an AC outlet, does the cable allow you to plug into 2 USB ports? This is important not for the flow of data, but for the flow of power (which affects the flow of data!!!). With two USB ports or and AC adapter, does Disk Utility see the drive? If this gets your drive mounted, the first thing I would do is run Disk Warrior to repair any directory errors which I would bet there are if you were relying on bus power.

Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Major Player

It's AC powered. The disk is recognized when I connect it by firewire, but when I connect it with USB it's either not recognized or it shows up, but Final Cut Pro can't capture to it correctly.
Thing is, I want to capture directly to the disk, and that is not possible when the disk is connected through firewire since my MBP ony has one firewire port (would it be possible with a firewire hub?).
I used to capture to it through USB, but suddenly that stopped working!
I'm going to claim a new disk.
Thanks
Old September 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

While I know some people have claimed success capturing via USB... it shouldn't be done. USB breaks information into packages which the computer then reassembles into information. FIrewire streams data from device to device with no additional overhead. In other words, they are different protocols and one is better suited for capturing video. Since the hard drive is probably only 5400 rpm, you want as little extra overhead as possible. Best thing you can do is get an ExpressCard Firewire adapter and keep the hard drive on it's own Firewire Bus.

Mike

I wouldn't know where to look in your neck of the woods, but this is what I mean:OWC Express34 FireWire 400+USB2 Add On Card... (EXPC342F1U) at OWC
Old September 10th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for your enlightning,

Just to be sure, with this bus you can use both firewire ports at the same time, capturing directly to the external disk?
I suppose the slot on the left on the MBP is for this?
Anybody else that captures via USB?

Thanks

Urban
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

This card does go into the slot and provides another bus to the processor. Which leaves the ports on the computer on their own bus. I would use the hard drive with the Express card via Firewire with nothing else on the card. Use the computer ports as you would like at that point.

Capturing via USB isn't recommended. You can TRANSFER via USB. Many AVCHD cameras will transfer footage via USB. But capturing streaming DV via USB is just asking for problems.

Mike
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Major Player

This Simpletech Pininfarina disk is a nightmare. Second time I change it. Just lost around 60 GB. The USB stopped working and the fw connection worked every ten times and then died, it seems...
If you have any advice about reestablishing the fw connection, it would be more than welcome, since the disk is still in the shop, waiting for being sent away with high risk of being emptied...

Which external disks do you recommend for MBP?
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi,

I changed the harddisk to a third of the same brand, and this one has been working so far. Also bought the slot card - thanks Mike!

A question I have now is if I can insert and take out this card while the computer is on. So far I haven't dared to do that.

Thanks / Urban
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite