Problems with OpticalFlow slo-mo, wavy watery shapes around people. Help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Problems with OpticalFlow slo-mo, wavy watery shapes around people. Help?

I am running some QT files through Motion 3's "optical flow" for slow motion. It took me a bit to get some things figured out, but it finally seems to be working correctly. The problem is when I have people walking through the frame in front of other objects, it creates this odd artifacting that looks like watery waves or a shimmering force-field around them.

It's really bad and makes the footage unusable. Is there any way around this? I'm slowing things down to 75%, would slowing them down LESS be a better option? I mean, I could slow the clip down to 95%, and then take that exported clip and run it through again at 95% and then again and again, but it already takes so long just to do one clip, I'd really like to find a reasonable solution.

Thanks
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Major Player

I use After Effects and Final Cut, so I'm not familiar with that particular effect. I think final cut does a fine job adjusting the speed (but AE is supposed to be much better when you know what you are doing). The point is if you just want to slow it down give Final Cut a try, just see if you prefer it with frame blending on or off.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
New Boot

That's how optical flow should look like, it may not work for all kinds of scene. Try using Frame Blinding instead.
Moayad Hassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I had a similar problem when using "pixel motion" to get a slo-mo effect in After Effects (probably similar to optical flow in FCP). I switched to frame blending and it was much better.

As Moayad mentioned, pixel motion or optical flow might work well for certain types of scenes and not so good for others. Just have to test it and see.
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the replies. I tried all kinds of speeds just in case I could sneak by the problem, but I cant. I'll try a frame blending technique for these instead.
Thanks
David Garvin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite