I知 about to purchase a Mac Book Pro 17" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 24th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Major Player

I have been following this thread closely as I too am about to switch. You all might want to check out Lynda.com for tutorials on these workflow questions.

Now for an off topic question. I have tried to buy a MacBook Pro 17" system from one of our sponsors and have not had a great deal of success. Does anyone have a reference you could send to me by Email or PM.

Thanks

Jim
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I have been looking at Lynda.
Coming from Sony Vegas where to my mind, everything makes sense with how I edit. I find editing with FCS slower. Vegas is so easy and FCS seems backwards and I know that FCS users will say the same going into Vegas.

If I didn't need to have FCS experience to apply for jobs I wouldn稚 bother, Vegas rocks with the way I work.
When you have industry standards you have to go with the flow. I guess I知 fortunate to purchase this tool but at the same time I find it complete non sense that I cant use the tool of my choice and this be accepted within the industry.
Anyway I値l get over it and Mac FCS will be great and I値l never look back at Vegas and PC editing again I guess.

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Anyone out there who purchased a new MBP 15"? I would like to know about comfort of editing on 15". I am looking forward to see the NEW 17" but maybe 15" could be an alternative.

Markus
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #19
Wrangler

I just purchased a new MBP 15" for editing. But it took me awhile to decide, there are some really great deals out there going on right now. (Also picked up the previous Macbook Air for US$1,399) I went back and forth awhile between the older 17", but decided I could live without the screen real estate, since I almost always arrange for a 2nd monitor when travelling. But, if the Macbook is your only monitor, the 17" is really nice for the FCP timeline.

Re: matte vs. glossy, I've been using a glossy screen on a PC laptop for awhile and it turns out I prefer the glossy - something I really didn't think about until all the brouhaha over the new glossy screens.
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I have a 15" MBP with FCP 6 that I use for field editing. It works great. I shoot with an EX-1 and transfer the files to a G Tech fw800 250 gb external drive for editing, using either Sony's XDCam transfer or Sony's Clip Browser if I need to down convert to SD. I also have the latest Mac Pro tower and can easily connect the G Tech drive to it to finish a project at home, if time allows. Some days I'd swear the MBP is faster than the Mac Pro.
Michael Sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
I just purchased a new MBP 15" for editing. But it took me awhile to decide, there are some really great deals out there going on right now. (Also picked up the previous Macbook Air for US$1,399) I went back and forth awhile between the older 17", but decided I could live without the screen real estate, since I almost always arrange for a 2nd monitor when travelling. But, if the Macbook is your only monitor, the 17" is really nice for the FCP timeline.

Re: matte vs. glossy, I've been using a glossy screen on a PC laptop for awhile and it turns out I prefer the glossy - something I really didn't think about until all the brouhaha over the new glossy screens.
Michael, side by side which is better machine in your opinion for running FCS?

I like the 15" machine but would have preferred it come with a high res screen like the 17" as well as a matte option.
Andrew Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Having just switched to Macs early this year, by no means am I a Mac expert. If I had to choose to work with only one, I would take the MBP for the flexibility of working at home and on location. Also, it's nice to be able to take my SxS cards straight from my EX-1 and pop them into the MBP's express slot to transfer the files to the external drive.
Old October 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #23
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Farrell View Post
Michael, side by side which is better machine in your opinion for running FCS?
I think the performance of FCS will be exactly the same. It's really about which machine you prefer. For me, I don't mind the glossy screen, I like that 15" notebooks fit into most travel bags / backpacks, and anytime I have a long editing session, I always arrange for a second monitor or a Mac Pro, so screen resolution isn't an issue for me.
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thank to the two Michaels for your report but just let me know if you feel comfortable with the FCS windows on the 15" screen. I am to change from Dell Inspiron 17" to MBP and my idea is to replace - during a period of time - the Windows tower with the MBP and an external monitor.

Thanks
Markus
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #25
Wrangler

Visit an Apple store to get some hands on time. They load FCS2 onto every machine. I know I can live with a 15" screen, but it might be different for you.
Old October 28th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I agree. Visit an Apple store. That's what I did. I looked at a 17" next to a 15" MBP. I didn't think it was that big a difference. So I chose the 15". My wife has a 15" MBP with a glossy screen. The reflections drive me crazy. She doesn't notice them. Maybe you get used to it.

Michael
Old October 28th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I have a 17'' Mac Book Pro I used for several years as my only editing system. It is a great computer but I would recommend getting an extra keyboard as leaning over the small mac can get very grueling on your eyes and back.

I use WD Hard drives and have never had an issue.
David Allen Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite