DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Mixing 16x9 and 4x3 footage

I am looking for a tutorial. I am editing 16x9, but I have some older 4x3 DV footage I wanted to mix with new shots. I remember there was a tutorial on line how to resize in Motion 4x3 into 16x9, but I can't find it now. If someone would post a link to it it would be great- thanks in advance
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Major Player

I think resizing in Motion would be way overkill for simply changing aspect ratio. All you need to do is drop the video into FCP onto the 16x9 timeline. By default it will pillar-box the footage, but you can zoom in to fill the frame, or stretch it to fill the frame.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Wrangler

Just to expand a little on what Edward has said... after dropping the 4:3 footage into a 16:9 sequence you will have a black bar to the left and right of the image. Select Image+Wireframe from the button at the top of the Canvas window and reduce the view size to 50% so have some space to work. You will see a dot in each corner of the 4:3 image. Grab that with the mouse and pull outwards. The image will zoom larger until it fills the width of the frame. If you like, you can also slide it up or down to get the composition you like.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for help- Robert
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite