Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 11th, 2008, 04:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Simple & Embarrassing Question - Video Only & Grouping

Hi all,

So this is the first of probably what will be many of my "Simple & Embarrassing Questions". I've just switched from Sony Vegas to FCP and i'm excited to learn this new and challenging interface.

So my question is how do select video only from my preview monitor ? It always bringings it with audio and i'm doing a video only edit.

Also, i'm not sure how I managed to do this but in my timeline I have all my tracks independent (meaning I can move just video or audio). How do I make them grouped together again (also whats the lingo FCP uses)? In Vegas this was easy, but having some difficulty here.

Thanks for the help my new FCP friends!
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #2
New Boot

If you have a clip where you want to remove audio, you can insert the clip into the timeline, select the clip, issue cmd-L (unlink): now you can select the audio portion only and delete it.

Instead, if now audio and video in the timeline seem not linked (even if part of the same clip) probably you hit the Linked Selection button (shift-L) on the top right corner of the timeline. This, different from cmd-L, temporarily makes the audio portions of all clips in the timeline independent of the corresponding video; each of them gets linked back to their video as soon as you toggle shift-L again.

Piero
Piero Fiorani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piero Fiorani View Post
If you have a clip where you want to remove audio, you can insert the clip into the timeline, select the clip, issue cmd-L (unlink): now you can select the audio portion only and delete it.

Instead, if now audio and video in the timeline seem not linked (even if part of the same clip) probably you hit the Linked Selection button (shift-L) on the top right corner of the timeline. This, different from cmd-L, temporarily makes the audio portions of all clips in the timeline independent of the corresponding video; each of them gets linked back to their video as soon as you toggle shift-L again.

Piero

There was at least 7 comments on this thread - did they get deleted ?
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #4
Major Player

>how do select video only from my preview monitor ?

Andy

This is the basic principle of track patching. You target your selected tracks in the source/destination patch area at left of the timeline. Click and drag the source track tabs to target and connect them with the destination tracks. To produce a video only edit then taget only the video track ie break the links on the audio tracks

Hope it helps
Andy Mees
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Not sure if this technique is what you are looking for, but when I only want the video part of a clip to be added to the timeline, I lock the audio channels (lock icon to the left; when locked, the channels have a cross hatch pattern on them) then add the clips to the timeline.

Mike.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite