DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 8th, 2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Major Player

MBP keyboard doesn't respond

Hi

I have a new Macbook Pro, and I have used it without problem during five months. But suddenly yesterday the keyboard and the touchpad don't work - no response whatsoever. External keyboard and external mouse work, so I fortunately can use the computer. But it has to be solved...

The computer hasn't been smashed or anything, no violence at all, the only thing I can remember is that I upgraded the system by the automatic upgrade command, but it never restarted the system afterwards, because my web connection died. I did that process right now though, but the keyboard is still dead! I did the PRAM restarts also, but it doesn't help either. (neither do current or not)

Any ideas?

Urban
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Major Player

software issue? try creating a new user account, then log into that user and see if it works there.

hardware issue? connect it to mains power and then pop out the battery ... does it work with the battery out? sometimes the battery overheats and swells fit to burst; the pressure the swelling creates on the components in the laptop can cause the trackpad to fail to respond. if it is a battery issue then you'll need to have the battery replaced
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #3
Better than Halle Berry

Could the num lock key be on?

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Major Player

I turned it in to a Mac Store in Miami, and they said they it's definitely a hardware problem and that they would have to change the whole keyboard section, which they will do for free since still a year hasn't passed since I buyed it (I don't have the Care thing). Excellent service but worrying that this can happen a new Mac. I found other forum posts that indicate that this is a problem that is not that uncommon.
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Trustee

Can happen to any electronics... be glad it happened while under warranty :)
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Mac had to send for the parts, so I still have the computer. And d'you know what happened? Suddenly the keyboard works again. This happened after the computer had been on, not being used, for an hour or so. Restart and it all works fine like normal.
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #7
Major Player

...and next day the keyboard is dead again...
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Trustee

Sounds like a loose cable. Expounding...Let them fix it, they're really a PITA to get to.

Last edited by Cole McDonald; December 10th, 2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: I came off as a know it all before, I hope I fixed it...
Cole McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite