DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Speeding up workflow. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/139292-speeding-up-workflow.html)

Chad Dyle December 9th, 2008 10:15 PM

Speeding up workflow.

My current method for rendering video for DVD Studio is to finish the edit in FCP, render all and then export as a reference file. I then open with Compressor and make then convert it for DVD Studio Pro. Do I have to render everything (red and orange lines) in FCP before exporting the reference file?
I've also noticed that when I use Qmaster for taking advantage of multiple processors that it sometimes leaves digital noise randomly in the video. I didn't know if that was due to it breaking up the video for render of different processors and then some problem putting it back together or what. This is my first Mac and I'm still learning.

TIA!

Pete Cofrancesco December 10th, 2008 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dyle (Post 975553)
My current method for rendering video for DVD Studio is to finish Do I have to render everything (red and orange lines) in FCP before exporting the reference file?

yes
Quote:

I've also noticed that when I use Qmaster for taking advantage of multiple processors that it sometimes leaves digital noise randomly in the video. I didn't know if that was due to it breaking up the video for render of different processors and then some problem putting it back together or what.
artifacts are a result of compression, i doubt mulitple processors are the cause. you'd have to test the section in question to prove that is the case.

Gary Nattrass December 10th, 2008 03:27 AM

I have to add I have done quick output jobs where I havent rendered in FCP before export and it all seems to work OK.

I export a ref movie as pro res 422 1080i 25p and then just do a one step DVD from the .mov file in i-dvd.

Andy Mees December 10th, 2008 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Dyle (Post 975553)
My current method for rendering video for DVD Studio is to finish the edit in FCP, render all and then export as a reference file. I then open with Compressor and make then convert it for DVD Studio Pro. Do I have to render everything (red and orange lines) in FCP before exporting the reference file?

Strictly speaking, No. When you export a reference file any unrendered sections are rendered and embedded in the reference file. The resulting file will be of the exact same quality as if you had rendered first.

Chad Dyle December 10th, 2008 07:43 AM

So there really is no difference in speed/quality if I render it in FCP on the timeline or when I export it as a reference file. Got it.
I'm going to have to do some experiments and post them here to see if I can reproduce the artifacts. Its almost like the pulse every second for 5-30 seconds and then go away. They are not in the original video, it has to be caused by compressor.

Gary Nattrass December 10th, 2008 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Mees (Post 975658)
Strictly speaking, No. When you export a reference file any unrendered sections are rendered and embedded in the reference file. The resulting file will be of the exact same quality as if you had rendered first.

Yes I know that is the case, it just means that I dont have to render before export and can leave it running which does speed up the process as I only have to do one function rather than two.

Pete Cofrancesco December 11th, 2008 01:10 AM

I learned something new.

I thought you had to render before exporting. I export as self-contained QT and then use compressor to make it into a MPEG2, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I wouldn't feel comfortable not rendering and previewing a movie before spending the time exporting.