DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Speeding up workflow.

My current method for rendering video for DVD Studio is to finish the edit in FCP, render all and then export as a reference file. I then open with Compressor and make then convert it for DVD Studio Pro. Do I have to render everything (red and orange lines) in FCP before exporting the reference file?
I've also noticed that when I use Qmaster for taking advantage of multiple processors that it sometimes leaves digital noise randomly in the video. I didn't know if that was due to it breaking up the video for render of different processors and then some problem putting it back together or what. This is my first Mac and I'm still learning.

TIA!
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
My current method for rendering video for DVD Studio is to finish Do I have to render everything (red and orange lines) in FCP before exporting the reference file?
yes
Quote:
I've also noticed that when I use Qmaster for taking advantage of multiple processors that it sometimes leaves digital noise randomly in the video. I didn't know if that was due to it breaking up the video for render of different processors and then some problem putting it back together or what.
artifacts are a result of compression, i doubt mulitple processors are the cause. you'd have to test the section in question to prove that is the case.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #3
Trustee

I have to add I have done quick output jobs where I havent rendered in FCP before export and it all seems to work OK.

I export a ref movie as pro res 422 1080i 25p and then just do a one step DVD from the .mov file in i-dvd.
Old December 10th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
My current method for rendering video for DVD Studio is to finish the edit in FCP, render all and then export as a reference file. I then open with Compressor and make then convert it for DVD Studio Pro. Do I have to render everything (red and orange lines) in FCP before exporting the reference file?
Strictly speaking, No. When you export a reference file any unrendered sections are rendered and embedded in the reference file. The resulting file will be of the exact same quality as if you had rendered first.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Major Player

So there really is no difference in speed/quality if I render it in FCP on the timeline or when I export it as a reference file. Got it.
I'm going to have to do some experiments and post them here to see if I can reproduce the artifacts. Its almost like the pulse every second for 5-30 seconds and then go away. They are not in the original video, it has to be caused by compressor.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mees View Post
Strictly speaking, No. When you export a reference file any unrendered sections are rendered and embedded in the reference file. The resulting file will be of the exact same quality as if you had rendered first.
Yes I know that is the case, it just means that I dont have to render before export and can leave it running which does speed up the process as I only have to do one function rather than two.
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I learned something new.

I thought you had to render before exporting. I export as self-contained QT and then use compressor to make it into a MPEG2, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I wouldn't feel comfortable not rendering and previewing a movie before spending the time exporting.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite