DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 11th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Help setting up my Mac to edit HD effectively

Hello there. Hopefully this is in the right place. I am pretty good with all the software, but I can get lost with all the hardware involved and what my needs are. I purchased a Mac Pro a year or so ago. And now my next project requires HD editing. My HD project will be about 30 minutes long. I will probably have a 3-1 or 5-1 shooting ratio. Can you help me out in telling me what I need/don't need? (With main focus on hard drives and RAID/no RAID quesitions)

Currently I have:
Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Processor
5 GB RAM
30" monitor

Internally: a 250 GB Drive (Main Drive) & 500 GB Drive (Media Drive)
Externally: x2 - 500 GB drives for Music/Movies/Pictures & 500 GB drive for time machine backup
(I also have x2 250 GB internal drives sitting around on my desk doing nothing)

I plan on:

-using FCP; Motion; Shake; and Photoshop - not all at the same time, but just so you know the situation.

-using the HVX200 and P2 cards to get the media into the computer. (I have heard of AVCHD and see it's all the rage now, but I don't know anything else about it really).

-getting the Blackmagic Intensity card (Still debating whether I need the Pro version or not) and using a HDTV as an output monitor.

OK, finally, the questions:

Would you set up a RAID for the media? I was thinking of using the 3 bays inside, as opposed to using an external enclosure. Which type of RAID would you create and how big would you make it (drive size)for my project?

I was probably going to grab some more RAM if money allowed, would a total of 8 GB be sufficient? I am an impatient computer user :p

Is the only difference between the Intensity and Intensity Pro the Breakout cables? I didn't see much else of a difference. Will the HDTV suit my needs as a cheap alternative to a output monitor? What am I sacrificing by not getting a HD broadcast monitor?

Am I going on the right path on most of these upgrade choices?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Alden Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite