Convert 16x9 to 4:3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 17th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Convert 16x9 to 4:3

I recently sent two of my guys to shoot a corporate video. One guy shot 16x9 on his Sony Z7 and the other shot in 4:3 aspect ratio. Now I have to edit the two footage on the same timeline in Final Cut Pro. Is there a way for me to convert the 16x9 footage into 4:3 without seeing the black bars?

If this topic has been sufficently covered on this forum, the search engine didn't offer me much help. I apologize in advance for this dumb question.
Jason Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Chang View Post
Is there a way for me to convert the 16x9 footage into 4:3 without seeing the black bars?
You'll have to crop off the sides. Drop the 16:9 footage into the 4:3 timeline and open the clpiin the viewer and change its scale (to 100% if it isn't already) and ratio values. I can't recall the exact value for the ratio (distortion or whatever it is labeled in FCP, not in front of it at the moment), but play around until it looks correct, shouldn't be too difficult.
Old December 17th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Another solution is your deck/camera and down convert the footage during capture. Your camera or deck should have this option in the menus. I use this option when working on shows similar to yours. Works great and the footage looks solid. No loss in quality.
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barber View Post
I can't recall the exact value for the ratio (distortion or whatever it is labeled in FCP, not in front of it at the moment), but play around until it looks correct, shouldn't be too difficult.
When you drop the 16:9 into the 4:3 timeline it automatically letterboxes. In the viewer window, choose the setting to display image and wireframe. Now drag the window a little larger, or set the view scale a little smaller, so that you can see the border around the image area. Grab one of the dots on the corner of the image with your mouse and click/pull outwards to zoom it larger until it fills the height of the 4:3 frame. If you like you can also drag the image around to re-frame.

But I like Jeff's suggestion even better if it's still an option for you.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

16:9 to 4:3

Thank you all for your advice. I think I will search the camera menu for solution.
Jason Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Just change the aspect ratio in the motion tab. Simple...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite