DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP Render File problem

I've been working on a 3 minute video for a couple of days. I've rendered it and output for the client several times.

Now, when I try to render the files for full speed preview, render tells me "out of memory"

I've deleted all old render files (at least I think I have) and try to re render...no luck. It stars to render and about 10% of the way in, it gives me the error again, "Out of Memory"

Now what?

Is there someplace else I should be looking for render files?

Right now, these go to a second drive on my machine, not the boot drive.

Any help or links to help would be immensely appreciated
Craig Lieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

This is one of the most widely reported problems and it can stem from a plethora of sources - I'll try to be brief. Your system really isn't out of memory but old temp files could very well be choking the FCP caching system. Here's some options:

- Download and run Onyx for Mac - run *all* it's maintenance and cleaning routines.
- Have you done any upgrades (OS, Quicktime etc) to the system since you first started working the project?
- Make sure your sequence isn't corrupt; copy the timeline into a fresh one that matches the same settings and export from there.
- Try using all 3 methods of exporting to Compressor: Timeline direct, reference file and self-contained file.
- Download and run the Compressor Repair: Compressor Repair - Repairs broken Compressor / Qmaster

Make sure you haven't inadvertently moved any of your source files; do a "select all" on the timeline and in the submenu (right click) hit "reconnect" and make sure nothing comes up as a missing element.

There's also another perfect quick-trick that might help posted by another forum member:

"Once I started a habit of "reset background processing" before each new project, I haven't had the "hanging up" problem. Click under Compressor > Reset Background Processing > ok." Thanks to Terry Taravella for that tip.

Try this stuff and report back what your results are.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

One of your ideas worked.

Turns out one of my swipes was corrupted....it literally disappeared from the drive on which it was stored. I reloaded it from the disc, reconnected the media and voila.

I wasn't trying to export, just trying to render within FCP so I could play back clips realtime.

During the process, I learned a ton about where my render files were, how many were stored and choking my memory and corrected those problems, too.
Craig Lieberman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite