Apple keynote - zzzzzzzzzz at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 6th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple keynote - zzzzzzzzzz

I guess it's too early to announce the new Mac Pro.

The new 17 inch MacBook Pro is no surprise. Well, no replaceable battery is a surprise . 8gb ram supported will be nice for some people too. But no quad core.

We'll get a big performance jump when the new Intel chips and Snow Leopard arrive for the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. But for now we can only watch our windows friends build nice i7 machines.

No imac, no mac mini, no apple TV so far. But they are giving us more ways to spend money on itunes!! woohoo. (that's sarcasm)
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Major Player

I've been thing about buying a mac pro, but not exactly in the near future. Do you have a sense of when might be a good time? I don't even remember how long ago mac pros were released.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Major Player

The current Mac Pro was updated early 2008.

I also was hoping to hear about a new version of the Mac Pro. One with Nehalum processors.
It also would be fine if they released some new Cinema Displays for the Mac Pro and Final Cut Studio 3 with Blu-ray Disc support instead of all that iPhone and iPod junk.

Oh well, I better keep on dreaming. ;-)
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

It's time for an update of FCE to support 24P editing.

And for iDVD to burn HD to DVD-R.
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
I've been thing about buying a mac pro, but not exactly in the near future. Do you have a sense of when might be a good time? I don't even remember how long ago mac pros were released.
I don't know, but the end of the second quarter for new Mac Pro is a guess many people seem to be making. Intel needs to release the server version of the new chip. Production has apparently started. Many people are waiting to buy, so demand will be significant. The new product will likely be a big improvement for video editing. (Based on the tests of windows machines with desktop versions of the new chips)
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
The current Mac Pro was updated early 2008.
January 8, 2008 to be precise. One ago year tomorrow, today for our European, African, Australian/New Zealander and Asian friends.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Frankly I care more about software advances now than hardware.

The hardware will come and I'm hoping that Snow Leopard ships with breathtaking
optimization for the new Macs but there's no rush for Core i7 until they get the Xeon
versions out. If you think Core i7 is fast now you need to see it with the faster QPI
links and SMT.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Major Player

It's not all bad, they improved the mac books:
Apple Introduces Revolutionary New Laptop With No Keyboard | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Don't forget that the new Apple strategy is to boot IDG's Macworld, and propagate new product releases to ALL THE STORES! So I would not be surprised by a series of in-store events starting in March.
M. Paul El-Darwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Regular Crew

If Apple were really smart they would be getting in bed with Nvidia to take full advantage of the new massively parallel systems they are coming up with. These type of computers could soon make home AvcHD realtime editing possible and think of the CGI potential. At that point the Intel CPU becomes more of a coprocessor to the GPU, just something to run the operating system with. I do believe that Nvidia will try to capture a larger share of the market with this angle they have been pursuing.

I also think that full 3d videography might be rearing its head sooner than we all realize. If Apple jumps ahead in parallel home/office computing then they are poised to pick up the first share of this market. Since affordable massively parallel computers are still a few years off, only time will tell who blazes the path to them.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite