Color Curves in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 16th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Color Curves in FCP

When I USE to use Sony Vegas I would always add a color curve to make my videos "pop". I am now learning how to use FCP and I cannot seem to find where something similar is. Anyone know where that might be?

Thanks

Here is a pic similar to what I'm talking about:
http://docs.gimp.org/images/toolbox/tools-curves.png
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Graeme Nattress makes some EXCELLENT third party plug ins for Final Cut Pro. Great
prices and absolutely awesome customer service.

Nattress

If you click on his 'big box of tricks' tab, you will see a bunch of plug ins, his 'G curves' plug in will do what you want I think.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Major Player

Did you try this in Final Cut?
3-Way Color Corrector - Final Cut Help : Apple Final Cut Pro Tutorial
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Aric, I am not trying to so much "color correct" as I am trying to make the video pop with a color curve. Making an "S" curve this way really adds a lot to your video, especially videos that you put on the web that are compressed.

Photoshop has a similar color curve that I use to make photos pop.
http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tuto...sing/4-rgb.jpg

Here they just added a very slight curve and you can see how more colorful the video on the right is:
http://www.pbcentral.com/columns/hil...pse6curves.jpg
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:49 AM   #5
Wrangler

Have tried this RGB Contrast Plug-In by Dominik Seibold? It's a simple way to quickly make the video image "pop".
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Major Player

I did what he said:
http://www.dominik.ws/DominiksContrast.fxplug.zip
Just extract that zip-file to your ~/Library/Plug-Ins/FxPlug folder. If that folder doesn't exist, create it.

But I dont see it in my FCP effects. And actually I had to extract it to:
My Startup HD/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro System Support/Plugins

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Wrangler

Do you see it in the Effects menu under Video Filters?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

Guys, I was under the impression that though FCP doesn't have the color curves per se, you can accomplish the same thing by using the shadows/mids/highlights sliders on the three wheel color corrector. Same result, different route.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:58 AM   #9
Major Player

I got it workin Michale, but so far FCP crashes EVERY time I try to render his effect after I add it to the video. Seems to work for other people tho so maybe I am doing something wrong.

Josh, I will try that, thanks.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:14 AM   #10
Slash Rules!

You know what? I take it back. I think you can create an S-curve using those sliders, but a more sophisticated curve, with more points, would be impossible in FCP without an actual curve tool. Since an S curve could have 3 points (2 really--in Vegas I used to add one kinda near the top, add one kinda near the bottom, leave the middle alone), you can likely do it in FCP.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:32 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
(2 really--in Vegas I used to add one kinda near the top, add one kinda near the bottom, leave the middle alone)
Exactly what I use to do in Vegas and I loved what it did to my videos, I hope I can do something comparable in FCP that doesn't degrade the quality of the video (lots grain etc). I am going to try the shadows/mids/highlights sliders on the three wheel color corrector and I will post my results.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:35 AM   #12
Slash Rules!

You should be able to do the simple s-curve with those sliders. An advantage FCP has over Vegas is the way the secondary color corrector works. Vegas has one, but if you create a mask with it, you'll see that the border of the mask is jagged, ugly and pixellated. At least in Vegas 6, the last one I used (sorry if they fixed this in 8 and I don't know it). In FCP, there's an option on the secondary CC to feather the mask edge, and a slider to change the amount. So now you can do your crazy movie looks and not make your footage too monochrome in the process. For instance, tint everything in a scene a deep blue, but use secondary CC to correct the skin tones back to normal.

You can have grain issues in any NLE tweaking footage too much.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
Seems to work for other people tho so maybe I am doing something wrong.
I have to ask: why are you not doing this in Color? Everything you are looking for -- and much more -- is right there for you in the Primary room. Send your sequence to Color, make your changes in the Primary room's curve controls and then render them and send the project back to FCP. Round-trip simplicity that is hard to beat.
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #14
Major Player

Mike, I just started learning color, I was looking for an easy way to make web videos pop that's all.

Color seems great, once I learn it I am sure I can do what I am looking for with it.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Darden View Post
Mike, I just started learning color, I was looking for an easy way to make web videos pop that's all.
Best way to learn is by doing, and on something as simple as this, it's a good project to practice with. To do what you are looking for realy is as simple as the steps in my previous post: it requires work in one room only -- the Primary.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite