Capturing in Prores 422 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 30th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing in Prores 422

So when capturing in Prores, is there a way to capture the tape as one clip? It makes new clip on start/stop of camera, but there is no setting to change it that I can find.
Is there a way, or is it just the way prores works?

I would like to get everything into one clip on capture if I can. I shoot weddings and capture around 6 tapes per wedding, and if it makes a new clip on every start/stop, I will have a TON of clips in my project.

I hear Prores is the way to go when making a lot of changes to the footage. I color correct pretty much everything I shoot, so if I capture in HDV but my sequence settings are for prores, will it transcode and turn out the same as capturing in Prores, or will I still be losing a lot of video quality?

Thanks guys.

Josh
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If i am not wrong, you can capture using APPLE PRO RES 422 (HQ) (hq settings) and you can record one file only... in my macbook pro 2.4 2 Gb, i cant because in certain point of the tape i think because of low power of mcp the capture stops (from hdv)... But the file still in one piece.... when i stops before crashes.
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Swan View Post
So when capturing in Prores, is there a way to capture the tape as one clip? It makes new clip on start/stop of camera, but there is no setting to change it that I can find.
Is there a way, or is it just the way prores works?

I would like to get everything into one clip on capture if I can. I shoot weddings and capture around 6 tapes per wedding, and if it makes a new clip on every start/stop, I will have a TON of clips in my project.

I hear Prores is the way to go when making a lot of changes to the footage. I color correct pretty much everything I shoot, so if I capture in HDV but my sequence settings are for prores, will it transcode and turn out the same as capturing in Prores, or will I still be losing a lot of video quality?

Thanks guys.

Josh
For your first question: the reason why FCP creates new clips upon HDV capture to ProRess is everytime you start/stop the camera, the Long GOP sequence is broken. So it creates a new sequence everytime you start/stop .

Second: Capturing RAW video (from HD-SDI or HDMI) directly to ProRes is very different from capturing a recorded HDV tape to ProRes (whether it be from firewire, HDMI, HD-SDI), because once on tape, it has already gone through the HDV compresssion. If you capture a live signal, you are in effect compressing it to ProRes only upon capture (and this will yield significantly better quality).

Hope this helps!
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am recording to tape, then trying to capture using the ProRes 422 setting. So you are saying Michael, doing it this way I can NOT capture it as one clip?
So if I film to tape then capture to FCP, what is the best way to keep it at the highest quality possible? Capture using HDV or ProRes?

Marcelo, you are saying that I can. Is that capturing to FCP from tape via firewire?
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
For your first question: the reason why FCP creates new clips upon HDV capture to ProRess is everytime you start/stop the camera, the Long GOP sequence is broken. So it creates a new sequence everytime you start/stop .
I don't think this is completely true. If I disable 'create new clip on start/stop' I've been able to log and capture w/o it creating new clips on start/stop.

Josh,
If you are capturing HDV to ProRes via FW there is no way to keep it from breaking the tape up based on stop/start. As far as quality goes, it in part depends on what the 'final destination' of your footage is. For example, if you master back to HDV then there is no point capturing as ProRes.

-A
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I will be mastering to SD DVD, but want to keep the projects HD to update output at a later date if need be.
Old January 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Swan View Post
I am recording to tape, then trying to capture using the ProRes 422 setting. So you are saying Michael, doing it this way I can NOT capture it as one clip?
So if I film to tape then capture to FCP, what is the best way to keep it at the highest quality possible? Capture using HDV or ProRes?

Marcelo, you are saying that I can. Is that capturing to FCP from tape via firewire?
Yes.. in firewire i have apple pro res and apple pro res HQ. The first the videos will be divided by shootings... In second, the hq the video still one at least in my tests, BUT, i have an delay from the hdv (by firewire) to apple pro res hq encoding.. I this this is normal, but take too far from the point thar the fcp cant handle the delay and stops...
Old February 1st, 2009, 06:41 AM   #8
New Boot

You can try doing this: In log and capture mark IN at the begining of the tape and mark OUT at the end of the tape (thats logging), then hit capture and it should capture all tape as one long clip.
Sergey Stefanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 08:51 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey Stefanovich View Post
You can try doing this: In log and capture mark IN at the begining of the tape and mark OUT at the end of the tape (thats logging), then hit capture and it should capture all tape as one long clip.
Sergey, this process is not available when using ProRes. ProRes captures are essentially Capture Now. Cue up your tape and go.

Josh: I think it really depends on what camera you are using to capture from. With my JVC GY-HD200U, I have no choice. The Long GOP is broken at start and stop so I can't help but get split clips. If it helps you, you COULD just assemble edit all the clips from a given tape into ONE sequence and give it a tape identifier, therefore allowing scrolling/scrubbing through in chronological order.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite