DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #1
New Boot

FCP - Not Happy

So I am right in the middle of editing (FCP Studio 5.1.4) when FCP begins to act up. For no apparent reason the entire sound track has not just moved out of sync, but corrupted itself to the point where the separate take tracks have melded together across cuts. I was able to delete those and replace them with the good audio, but I still have no explanation for the weird occurrence, I have never had slip problems before not to mention the whole morphing thing. This is the first HD project I have edited on this system and I am beginning to think it doesn't like the HD.

Fast forward a couple of days.

I am trying to take part of the rough cut I am working on an put it into a new timeline. Well FCP doesn't seem to want me to do that either. I cut and paste the clips from the old time line into a new time line with the exact same settings and it wants me to re render stuff that didn't need to be rendered in the first place and what's more it doesn't like the audio at all and won't let me render it. I get a "NOT FOUND" error message or worse a "GENERAL ERROR" message which I have never gotten before.

Needless to say this is becoming rather frustrating. I have been using FCP for close to 11 years and have never had these problems. I have avoided the upgrade because I really can't afford it.

My System is:
Mac Pro Intel 10.4.1
2x3Ghz Dual Core Intel Xenon
4G Ram
Tons of hard drive space
NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT x 2

Anyone have this happen to them? I just want to make sure that it isn't something I am doing before I have to drop $500 on the upgrade and another $129 on the OS upgrade.
Charlie Spickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Could be anything- fix permissions, zap PRAM, clear drives off. A simple reinstall of OS and FCP will probably do the trick. But yeah, ultimately if you're using FCP and OS X daily for a living you owe it to yourself to have the current versions at all times.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Wrangler

That's pretty odd. My regular workflow for editing our performance videos involves heavy use of cut and paste of both audio and video between multiple sequences, and I have never experienced any of these problems with FCP 3, 4, 5 or 6.

I agree pretty much with Noah, but would add the caveat that upgrading the application or operating system should NOT be done while you're in the middle of a project.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys. Yeah, I have been cutting and pasting away for years on every version I have had, which is why this is puzzling me so much. I will keep trying to shake out these bugs from wherever they are coming from but it looks like I am going to have to do the upgrade. It seems as much as I can't afford the big outlay, it is also crystal clear that I can't afford not to do it either.
Charlie Spickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Better than Halle Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Spickler View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah, I have been cutting and pasting away for years on every version I have had, which is why this is puzzling me so much. I will keep trying to shake out these bugs from wherever they are coming from but it looks like I am going to have to do the upgrade. It seems as much as I can't afford the big outlay, it is also crystal clear that I can't afford not to do it either.
Go into credit debt, it's the American Way! :)

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite