How do I set a SD Seq in FCP with EX1 footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I set a SD Seq in FCP with EX1 footage

I have shoot footage with an EX1 @ 720/50p shutter off. I want to edit in an SD seq with FCP and take advantage of the extra frames and slow down the footage, also be able to re-frame within the SD seq.
The final product will be on DVD SD Pal
What seq template should I set up to achieve this?
I’m trying DVCPRO-pal @ 25 and 50fps. Of course 50fps works but I also will insert some 50i from HDV cams.

If I use the DVCPRO @ 25FPS the footage slowed down to 50% is very jerky.
What seq settings should I use to mix things up?

I get lost with the setup all the time as there is so many options.

Thanks
Nick Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Weird, second time in 2 days that I've posted here on DV Info only to find later that my post simply never showed up .... but I digress.

Nick,
I'd recommend Apple ProRes 422 PAL as your SD intermediate format.
And for the slow-mo, duplicate the source media and use Cinema Tools to Clip > Conform... the copy to 25 fps; use that conformed copy as the source for your slow-mo sections.

Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 08:43 AM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

The best thing to do - and is the standard practice when shooting in HD and making SD downconversions - is to edit in the native camera format (use the timeline settings that match your camera settings - or use ProRes). Then when you're done use Compressor to make your SD-widescreen PAL downconversion.

This way you're not throwing away information twice; first by dropping HD content into an SD timeline and then again during MPEG2 compression for DVD.

ProRes would probably be the best setting to mix up footage type (i vs P) which will require rendering but be much less hassle.

Many who attempt the HD-to-SD downconversion for the first time are disappointed with the results especially when making NTSC to PAL conversions because they rely on the default settings used in the presets in Compressor. Don't rely on those default settings and instead learn how to tweak them.

Purchase this book: Compressor 3 Quick Reference Guide, Brian Gary. This will outline the best way to achieve what you're after.

This process outlined above is exactly what I've done for my photography series, "Photos in a Flash". The original content was shot in HD (P2 cams), and then down-converted to SD-Widescreen using Compressor for authoring in DVDSP4. I recently made a PAL version for a VOD supplier in the EU using the same process described above.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Hey Robert

Just as an aside to the always spot on advice, but Nick in this case did note that he wanted use the raw HD source dimensions to allow for unscaled reframing within the SD frame (at least, thats the way I read it) hence the desire to edit directly in SD rather than create an HD master.

Just another take anyway
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks,

Yeah Andy I want to rescale the HD footage within the SD Seq and then when I have the edit is to send it to compressor and make then SD MPEG, Just like the Vortex DVD explains but a Pal version.
The thing is getting the right codec in the SD Seq or does this really matter, as i'm going straight to compressor rather than making a Quicktime file.

Nick
Nick Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite