Why do my Quicktime movies look so pixelated? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Why do my Quicktime movies look so pixelated?

The same quicktime footage encoded and burned to DVD plays back much, much better on my iMac. Why is that? If I play the Quicktime file directly it looks very pixelated. I don't like to let clients see footage played back in FinalCut or Quicktime player for this reason, and it's a hassle burning everything to DVD everytime I want to show it. Can anyone explain why this is happening? Footage is originating on an XL2.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Major Player

In quicktime open the movie's properties window (command+J), click on the video track, click the Visual Settings tab, on the bottom right you can check high quality. Then save. Be careful when you save, because it will also save where you are in the movie's timeline; so the next time you open it, the movie won't start from the beginning.
If you look at the visual settings and the high quality box is already checked, it means that your preferences are set to play back HQ by default... I think it's safest to have HQ OFF in the preferences, so that the pixelated video reminds you to check and save high quality -so when you give it to a client you are sure it will open in HQ.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Aric. That did it. I'm puzzled why Apple would have it default to lower quality playback. Bizarre.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite