DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Need advice about AVCHD conversion programs for the Mac OS 10.5

I have been experimenting with AVCHD and am wondering what sort of success people have had with the various ingest options out there.

I have a three year old MacBook Pro and the only success I've had has been with iMovie9 or MPEG Streamclip. The other programs which I can download demos, Cineform NeoHD or Voltaic, crash on my completely updated computer.

So far iMovie9 is the most cooperative with the AVCHD files but I rather work with FCP. Is there an efficient way to use iMovie to capture AVCHD and export FCP ready files?

MPEGStreamclip makes edit ready files but it might not be giving me the best results. My experience with HDV and MPEGStreamclip shows that it's not the best program with that type of codec.

Thanks for helping.
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser View Post
I have been experimenting with AVCHD and am wondering what sort of success people have had with the various ingest options out there.

I have a three year old MacBook Pro and the only success I've had has been with iMovie9 or MPEG Streamclip. The other programs which I can download demos, Cineform NeoHD or Voltaic, crash on my completely updated computer.

So far iMovie9 is the most cooperative with the AVCHD files but I rather work with FCP. Is there an efficient way to use iMovie to capture AVCHD and export FCP ready files?

MPEGStreamclip makes edit ready files but it might not be giving me the best results. My experience with HDV and MPEGStreamclip shows that it's not the best program with that type of codec.

Thanks for helping.
If you have FCP 6 it's as easy as using the log and transfer feature to turn the AVCHD clips into ProRes422 Quicktime files.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It's one of the methods I tried and got nowhere. Log and Transfer wouldn't recognize the files off the AIPTEK camera I have. Interestingly, I can import the files directly into FCP and it recognizes them but they always need rendering. Not the easiest way to work. FCP will change the sequence settings to H.264 if I let it.
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What's the extension of the file?
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Inner Circle

.mov, believe it or not.
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Looks as though you're dealing with a quicktime file with mpeg4 compression rather than an actual mpeg4 AVCHD file. The extension would be MTS or some other transport stream mpeg derivative.
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Toast 9 or 10 will convert your .mts files to any codec you have available on your Mac. I like it better than Log and Transfer personally.

As John mentioned if your seeing a .mov extension, then you are seeing a mpeg4 file.
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite