DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 6th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

smoothcam 15hrs???

Hi Everyone,

I have a little issue here.I have a 30 sec clip I'd like to apply smoothcam to.It a ceremony where I was stuck in my stedicam rig and the footage isn't so steady.I edited down the clip in fcp 6 and applied the smoothcam filter.The estimated time says 15hrs to analize.Holy moly.....is that right? Should I change anything as far as the clip goes? I'm editing hdv 1080 60i .I'm totaly new at this so please bare with me if this is a stupid question:)

Thanks!
Ryan
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Morey View Post
Hi Everyone,

I have a little issue here.I have a 30 sec clip I'd like to apply smoothcam to.It a ceremony where I was stuck in my stedicam rig and the footage isn't so steady.I edited down the clip in fcp 6 and applied the smoothcam filter.The estimated time says 15hrs to analize.Holy moly.....is that right? Should I change anything as far as the clip goes? I'm editing hdv 1080 60i .I'm totaly new at this so please bare with me if this is a stupid question:)

Thanks!
Ryan
smooth cam will analyze the entire clip, even if you set a small portion using IN and OUT markers. If you want to accelerate the process you might have to render out the truncated clip first and then bring it back into FCP. Apart from that, yes, smoothcam takes a lot, lot, processing power.

Best
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Dino is spot on.

Smoothcam will analyze the entire clip. I would simply make a new clip of the portion and run Smoothcam on that clip.

Also... since it analyzes in the background, you should be able to keep working.
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Leone View Post
smooth cam will analyze the entire clip, even if you set a small portion using IN and OUT markers.
I recently started learning FCP, and the first time I tried Smoothcam, I immediately came against this issue. I assumed I wasn't using the filter correctly, because I thought there was no way the default action would be to analyse the entire clip. I figured that was way too dumb.

Apparently not...
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ok.....pheew.I got it.I just cut the clip down to the 31 sec clip I needed.Now it's saying 8 minutes.Hopefully it comes out well.

Thanks for all of your help guys.Now I just need to learn how to export for the web:)

Ryan
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Does anyone know if it is possible to apply the smoothcam filter to a subclip in order to save time and avoid exporting?
Glenn Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #7
Major Player

No, it really analyzes the entire media file. Kind of stupid, IMHO.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite