DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GRAID 3 randomly unmounts

I have just purchased a GRAID 3 external HD and for large project, but am quite surprised at its random unmounts. Happens quite frequently actually. Tried all that crossed my mid, searched this forum but no answer. Is it sort of a normal behavior or am I missing something. I connected it via Fire Wire 800. would esata adapter help? Any advice?

Edit:

Also I searched the forums about it and came up with a problem people keep talking about, and it's about Time Machine. People keep complaining about TM destroying their external hard drives, here's the link - http://discussions.apple.com/thread....5979&tstart=30 , and considering the date of the topic I may have (being a new MAC user) missed some solution to the problem. I'm bringing this up only in reference to my own problem, could TM be the cause of the random unmounts, considering I used GRAID to be my TM disk? I have turned TM off for the time being, please advise whether the problem has been fixed.

Furthermore, people also complain about FireWire drivers being less then satisfactory to say the least, corrupting HD's as well, here are two links on the subject -
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=5694554
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....20884&tstart=0

I'm bringing it up also in relation to my own problem. Is the problem a faulty FireWire connection, should I revert to eSata or USB to connect GRAID?

Noteworthy - after changing the Time Machine update drive selection to "none" the unmountings have stopped so far (about an hour or so, will confirm after further testing), but in Final Cut Pro the error " autosave scratch disk drive cannot be found " appears every five minutes, but when I go to the system settings the drive is there as if I have already selected it.

Last edited by Daniel Ridicki; March 13th, 2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: new info
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Switcing off Time Machine did not help

Switching to FW 400 however did: no unmounting with FW 400. Discovered tons of people on the Net having problems with FW 800. Will try esata next week, though connection via FW 400 so far yields smooth playback.
Old March 15th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Disregard FW 400 observation: i unmounts as well. Anyone have any idea?
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The correct answer is 'No' this is not 'sort of a normal behavior'. Firewire devices should just work.

You don't tell us what Mac system you have but I am guessing a Mac Pro of some sort. You also don't mention what version of OS X. If you have the option of eSATA then this is a better connection to use as the potential throughput is much higher than Firewire or USB.

As the RAID system is new you should contact G-technology support in the first instance as if it is a known problem or incompatibility between your particular Mac & their RAID system then they should certainly know about it. If it's not a known problem then I would suspect a faulty unit that needs to be exchanged.

Cheers

Nigel
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Sorry...

The machine is 2 X 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM,
OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

Daniel,

Definitely talk to G-Raid and see what they say. There are many possibilities that could cause this problem from faulty firmware in the RAID controller in the G-Raid box to a software setting in OSX. G-Raid people should be able to help you drill-down and figure this out quickly.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert

I have sent two mails to Graid support, but I did not merit any answer. Hopefuly they will.
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:06 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Just to conclude

The GRAID 3 unit is defective, and will be replaced by the dealer I bought it from. Thanks for responds.
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite