Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 24th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
New Boot

FCP settings for 50" HDTVs

Hi-

I'm helping a friend put together a presentation that will show on 3 Vizio 50" HDTVs and I've never put together such presentations. So to avoid getting off to a bad start, I wanted to get some advice on the possible FCP sequence settings I should consider for such a presentation.

This presentation will be put together using a lot of different file types from a lot of different sources -- none of them seems very good quality (I'm thinking they've been stepped on at least a couple of times). It looks like there will be avi, mp4 (no way!), mov files from Sorenson Video 3, rips from DVDs, etc, etc...This project looks like it might become a nightmare.

So, given what I have to work with, I guess I really need help thinking about how to come up with the optimal sequence setting for such a presentation. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex
Alex Kanakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

While I don't know the specifics, most gallery shows using displays employ a dvd player. Why? Less likely to get stolen, no computer glitches and issues like power saving mode and freezes, can be controlled with a remote, looping, smaller and easier to hide, etc.

Just because they're HDTV screens doesn't mean you need an HD player, most likely the footage isn't HD. So you're going take all the formats and convert them so you can import them into an video editor then export as MPEG2 and author a DVD. Leave plenty of time to test your set up, take nothing for granted.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Also take a look at the western digital hdtv media player. It's about 100 bucks and you use a usb storage device and can play up to 1080p content. It's great!
Marshall Staton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just picked up a Western Digital Media Player and I can tell you the thing is very impressive. Well worth the price of admission!

Forrest
Forrest Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Burger View Post
I just picked up a Western Digital Media Player and I can tell you the thing is very impressive. Well worth the price of admission!
I concur. Coupled with a bus-powered USB drive and you have a nice little (and it is little) mobile media presentation platform.

Are the three screens showing the same video simultaneously, or three seperate videos? If it is the same, then you can get an HDMI splitter as well to share the output from the WDTV.
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #6
New Boot

If possible, play the DVD on an an upressing DVD player. It will make the footage look better on a 50'' HDTV
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Spanger View Post
If possible, play the DVD on an an upressing DVD player. It will make the footage look better on a 50'' HDTV
What is an "upressing DVD player" and how would it make footage "look better"?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite