Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Progressive or Interlaced?

Hi,

I'm still not really firm on how to judge the need to record my Video.Progressive or Interlaced?

Though i'm not doing Action Movie...but while Walking, Swinging the Body and doing some light movement like picking a pen from the Floor and Stand up again...every movement while recorded isn't that really smooth or may say it'll presence the blurry effects on Subject ..and all the Stand Still object were clear enough...

Hope you understand how's my situation regarding my description above.

What do you think? it's all bout setting on Progressive and Interlaced? or...some other issue? or...it's quite normal situation? or...it'll solved when i "De-interlaced" it on NLE?

BTW, i've setup Lighting...means, lights is enough!!

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon!!!
Mac Treouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM   #2
Major Player

increase your shutter speed?
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
increase your shutter speed?
Progressive or interlaced is as much a stylistic choice as anything else - film look versus reality/news look - though with today's LCD and plasma displays progressive is a better choice of origination. Either way you should be able to get smooth looking pictures.

Increasing the shutter speed will introduce more strobing on any movement because there will be less motion blur. Decreasing shutter speed will create smoother images.

You should be shooting at twice your frame rate, ie at 25fps you should be shooting at 1/50th.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:00 AM   #4
Trustee

I have done loads of tests on my Z7/S270 and have settled on the following for most shooting:

Camera set to 1080i 50i with a shutter speed of 100.
edit in same format and export pro res 422 at 1080i 25p.

I find 25p shooting in the camera too jerky and prefer to keep everything interlaced until final delivery.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite