DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Contour Shuttle 2 and New Mac Pro w/ FCS2

The control keys don't seem to be working ie if i press control + F10 it doesn't fast forward but it will mute or unmute my audio. Any ideas?
Marshall Staton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Contact the manufacturer. A quick check of the product page shows they haven't updated info since the G5 era; I'd hate to think they don't have updated drivers for the Mac Pro but I suppose it's possible.

I do know of other editors using the Shuttle Pro without problem on both Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I have Shuttle 2 too, but I find its operation extremely choppy in FCP. Jogging is almost unusable, as it picks up to speed and stops well after I`ve let go of the jog wheel. This happens on clean install, with the latest driver. No matter what quality i set playback to, happens with plain old DV as well.

Is this normal with FCP and Shuttle?

In Premiere (PC and Mac), jog is perfectly smooth, it`s like jogging a quality deck. What gives?
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have the original Shuttle Pro and it stopped working with FCP years ago regardless of the driver updates. It continued to work fine with After Effects until CS3. Now it's in a box somewhere.
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Trustee

I saw an ad in a magazine for someone selling that thing. I think it was Griffin Technology....but I wouldn't swear to it. Maybe they bought out Contour and have updated the drivers?
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

I don't use one but checked-in with the editors whom I know uses them; they all say it works just fine on a MacPro/MBP without issue.

Again, checking with the manufacturer would be a good idea. It could very well be an issue internally with the unit itself rather than driver problems.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Dang! I always prefer searching up an answer, rather than giving one. especially if I don't know what I'm talking about, which happens far too often. I've been using a ShuttlePro 2 for years, and have no problems on either a twin G5 or a MacBook Pro. Except one: My FCP presets disappeared. Bizarre. It still operates in FCP, but only via global settings. The contour design people have a wwwebsite that seems almost embarrassed of the shuttle pro, except for the 'Rx' version, apparently designed for the medical world. I guess I'll rebuild the preset, but the fact is- The FCP standard one needed only a little customization for me. Anyone who's only used the center jog/wheel combo likes it. At least that part works, but the programmable buttons are a godsend, too. I'd love it if they did sellout to someone who updated by major NLE updates and OS updates. I wonder if some of the problems people have aren't simply operational changes built in with later platforms and applications.

Anyway, I need to use it, not monkey around with its settings, which is also one big reason why I use Macintosh equipment in the first place.

If anyone knows a place people exchange shuttlepro settings, I'd love to know.

EDIT: BTW, be sure and use the latest available drivers:

http://retail.contourdesign.com/?/products/23

Edit: I re-installed v. 2.14 for Mac OSX and all the final cut presets were back. Stock ones, anyway. Beyond me.

Last edited by A.D.Wyatt Norton; June 20th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
A.D.Wyatt Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #8
Major Player

Can anyone tell me what settings to use? I just bought a Shuttle Pro II and it doesn't even perform the most basic functions on my Mac Pro 8-core. When I turn the jog & shuttle wheel I hear the 'alarm bell' of my Mac going off and the clip keeps playing, no matter what I do. It wont stop until I force it to stop with a click from my regular mouse. Also the 'forward play' button does not work. I did download the most recent driver from the site and tried both 'Final Cut Pro' and 'global' settings....

I'm using Snow Leopard.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hello,

I have the contour as well running FCP 7 on both my MBP with Leopard and Mac Pro with Snow Leopard without any problems. Under the profiles did you select "Final Cut Pro 7?" If I select "Final Cut Pro HD," it doesn't work, only works when I select "Final Cut Pro 7."

Does the Contour work on other programs? Or just on the "Global?"
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
Can anyone tell me what settings to use? I just bought a Shuttle Pro II and it doesn't even perform the most basic functions on my Mac Pro 8-core. When I turn the jog & shuttle wheel I hear the 'alarm bell' of my Mac going off and the clip keeps playing, no matter what I do. It wont stop until I force it to stop with a click from my regular mouse. Also the 'forward play' button does not work. I did download the most recent driver from the site and tried both 'Final Cut Pro' and 'global' settings....

I'm using Snow Leopard.
I have the exact same problem. How did you solve this ?

Thanks,

Hans
Hans Tuytelaars is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite