DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP Edits Pixlet HD just like DV!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/16270-fcp-edits-pixlet-hd-just-like-dv.html)

Frederic Lumiere October 27th, 2003 04:37 PM

"Nooo. MPEG-2 is very compact. Not 300GB per hour, only 9GBs per hour. So this is 78 x 9GB. (DV is 13GB per hour.) Proxy is 78 x 8.5MB. That's megabytes!"

Steve,

I think you meant 78 X 850MB for proxy right?

So the total space requirement for that project you spoke of was 78 X 850MB (For proxy) + 78 X 9GB (for m2v) assuming you delete the m2ts. But you'll need the space to go back to m2t which I estimate at another 78 X 9GB.

Am I correct Steve?

Steve Mullen October 27th, 2003 05:06 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Darren Kelly :
Further, anything you do in the proxy edit HAS TO RENDER IN THE FULL FOOTAGE. You can't avoid rendering with your proxy method. IT IS A FACT OF LIFE!!! -->>>

One render at the end is very different than constantly rendering during editing.

But having just Googled Pixlet, I'm surprised at how few technical details there are. What may be true:

1) Wavelet based (http://faculty.gvsu.edu/aboufade/web/dw.htm)

2) Fast decode for playback. If not semetric, that means very long encodes.

3) Color space?

4) Types of artifacts?

The Avid Mojo just arrived so I've got to see if it works and if Xpress DV Pro will import HD MPEG-2. Probably not.

Steve Mullen October 27th, 2003 05:25 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Frederic Haubrich : I think you meant 78 X 850MB for proxy right?

YES!

So the total space requirement for that project you spoke of was 78 X 850MB (For proxy) + 78 X 9GB (for m2v) assuming you delete the m2ts.

YES!

But you'll need the space to go back to m2t which I estimate at another 78 X 9GB.

NO. After editing you only have 1 to 2 hours of video to deal with, not 78. And this can be slow storage because it won't be played. It will be converted back to MPEG-2 which takes only 9GB per hour!

Now if my math is right, 850Mb is almost 1GB + 9GB = 10GB per hour of source storage. But, the MPEG-2 is likely kept on a cheap FW drive as speed is of no importance. (You'll need 4 x 250GB drives.)

So the 78GB of Proxy is all that's needed for editing verses 78x32GB for Pixlet. And a PowerBook has 80GB of space. So head to hills to edit 78 hours of video!

Keep the 4 FW drives in a safe place. Hook them up at the end. Also hook up a couple more 250GB drives to hold the uncompressed FCP export.

Not cheap, but nothing compared to SCSI RAID.

Frederic Lumiere October 27th, 2003 05:36 PM

Nice!

Darren Kelly October 27th, 2003 05:41 PM

Guys,

Remember this is Steve's forum, so he's gonna keep bashing you until you give up. I know I am :))

Frederic Haubrich:

I don't consider myself an opportunist. That's just plain rude of you to make such a comment.

I think of myself as a video producer who's trying to shed a little light on this new format and cameras. I do make my living as a video producer and the amount of time, research and money that has gone into developing the package I am selling is staggering. I'm really working hard to make this something that will be useful to everyone from newbies to those trying to evaluate the products that are out there.

The freebies on the DVD alone are over $500.00, so don't call me names.

Christopher C. Murphy:

I might be a few days late with the shipment as this Pixlet release has me back into research and testing and not producing. I appreciate your order and I am working very hard to make this as complete and useful as I can be. I will send out emails later this week when I know when I will be complete. I had planned 1 DVD/DVDROM combo and now, I'm at one DVD and one DVDROM so if nothing else the value is increasing.

I do promise you this though, anyone who buys this will be happy with the amount of info and goodies it contains.

Cheers

Frederic Lumiere October 27th, 2003 05:46 PM

Darren,

Is opportunist a bad word? I meant that in a good way. My appologies if I offended you.

(I'm French,...some things loose in the translation)

Heath McKnight October 27th, 2003 06:25 PM

Is the editing viable on FCP 3? I'm short on cash, and if I can use Pixlet with FCP 3, then that would be great!

Thanks,

heath

Christopher C. Murphy October 27th, 2003 06:30 PM

Darren,

No rush! I think we'd all love to get a complete product up to your expressed standards.

I appreciate your commitment to a solid product and I'm sure everyone else will too. If every other company out there commited to your standards - well, we might get back to some quality products in the USA! (USA is the best no matter what though.) ;)

Thanks again for putting the time into this DVD/DVD-ROM - it sounds like you've put some blood, sweat and tears into it.

Also, thanks to Steve for his time creating HDcinema - all of this work makes HDV an easier transision.

Thanks to Darren and Steve!

Chris

Darren Kelly October 27th, 2003 07:14 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Is the editing viable on FCP 3? I'm short on cash, and if I can use Pixlet with FCP 3, then that would be great!

Thanks,

heath -->>>

Questions to ask Health -

Does FCP 3 run on OS 10.3. That's the key to it I would think. If it does, then you're off to the races. If not, then you might have to upgrade.

I can't answer that. The jump to 4 is the best move you could make. The extra features are worth the price of admission.

DBK

Heath McKnight October 27th, 2003 07:28 PM

I buy 4, 5 comes out soon after. I'm not making as much money as I'd like right now!

heath

Lisa Lee October 29th, 2003 01:44 AM

Steve, question for you....

How do you think Pixlet compares to Aspects codec? Which would you choose as the lesser of the 2 evils?